Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rather (too?) colourful Bubble nebula + M52

Martin-Devon

I've always struggled with the Bubble nebula. Usually all I get is a mucky brown colour and that's as far as I get. Anyhow, I collected 6x10 minute subs each across H-alpha, OIII and SII on the nights of 19th & 20th August, and played around this evening with the processing, experimenting mainly with the colours and probably gone a bit too far. The limited data also makes it a tad noisy as well. M52 is the globular cluster at the 8-o-clock position.

As always, thanks for looking.

Martin

14868769800_b57d9bf943_b.jpg

Very, very nice Martin.  I have no idea how you get such vibrant colours on your narrowband images.  I have always had the same problem you report when trying to map the Hubble palette on this target - muddy brown Ha - which is why I ended up processing mine in the CFHT palette instead.

Yours looks great, though.  I'd be interested in seeing a version with the vibrancy of the colours taken down a notch, just to see the difference.  That's taking nothing away from this version which is stunning.

Great stuff...

Thanks for comments. I know that this type of rendition is not to everbody's taste. Nevertheless, personally I like bold colourful images and I'm not particularly interested in just replicating what somebody else has done. I feel it's nice to also have a element of "art" within the images as well, and if you look at some of the more "professional" image websites from some of the big names there are plenty of examples where they post extremely colourful and vivid images - the majority of which look like nothing you see typically on SGL Admittedly their processing skills are light years ahead of mine though, which also helps!

Just to mention that I have not touched the saturation tab at all for my image. The colours were generated just using selected Curves, the selective colour slider and Lab Colours. 

Martin

Archived