Narrowband

Inadvertent nebula leading to overexcitment.

I was taking a wideish field shot of the Cooling Tower in Cygnus last night, just because it was clear and I like it and I need the practice with everything. When processing, I noticed at absurd stretches that there was detail in the background. This turns out to be the first nebula detail I have ever captured in my very short AP life. Naturally I have gone a little over the top in trying to tease this out.

M29 CoolingTower

To me, I think my problems are:

1. Not enough data to clearly tease the nebula data out from the noise.
  2. Unsophisticated stretching/processing to try and pull the nebula details out, resulting in some nasty star distortions
  3. Not enough (or too much)  star processing resulting in blurred outlines and hard white centers.
  4. Star bloat. Either from my DSLR, my 80ED CA or over-processing - probably all 3.

50 x 30 secs using DSLR (20 darks, 20 bias from a previous session!). Evostar 80ED + HEQ5 + Pentax K500 DSLR.

Am I on the right track with my thoughts?

Thanks for looking,

Matt

Hi

I think you can never have too much image data! I'm just taking first steps into nebula imaging myself. Ideally you want a camera that's sensitive to H-alpha (for emission nebulae) which is why many dslr users get their cameras modded. Having said that I can't seem to make out any nebula in your image. I think the only actual nearby nebula would be the crescent nebula but I think that's outside your image fov. You didn't mention taking any flats - I would advise  including flats which will make processing easier. Anyway, you've captured a lot of stars which is good! I would go back and focus the processing on the stars and maybe a little extra tweak on the brightness and contrast might be good :)

Just my humble and inexperienced opinions - take or leave!

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

Your title did make me laugh! I frequently get overexcited! I hope Louise doesn't mind my posting this. It does show nebulosity, unless I'm madder than I thought!

http://astropixels.com/openclusters/M29-01.html

As Louise said, you would need to have your camera modded to receive hydrogen alpha. Nebulosity can be quite faint so if you can get guiding sorted, you can get longer subs. That means more data and better images.

Alexxx

Archived