Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M42 and Saturn

Viking

Although I have the Pro SkyScan mount I have not yet “cracked” its complexity (for me that is). Initially I used a 17mm eyepiece that gave me a magnification of 53. So there I was using basic surfing, scanning, and patience trying to locate M42. You would think it was easy just to point at the location you wanted. No way. It was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Then it popped into view. I have seen many of the images on SGL but this was seeing it for myself. I could see a number of stars in the centre and the nebula was spread out like birds wings. I could also see the stars above M42 that would be M43 but no indication of any nebula.

The next up was Saturn, it was lying at about 30 degrees to the East. Again trying to sweep back and forward in many futile attempts to locate it. I must have missed it time and time again but eventually there is was such a lovely sight. A bit on the small side but perfectly formed. It looked yellow with a hint of orange, about the size of a finger nail. I then tried a 2x powermate which to my observation didn’t make a lot of difference to the image.

John

Nice report John.

I purchased my HEQ5 Pro SkyScan mount together with a Baader Skysurfer V from FLO three weeks ago and have waited patiently for the scope to arrive. That eventually happened when I arrived home late yesterday afternoon to find a long and large package awaiting me.

This initial delay was as a result of the UK importers waiting on a new batch of CNC machined tube-rings :D

Daz,

Thanks for the offer. However, it prompted me to have another try using an image in Greg's review. Eventually I examined the clamps that attach the mount to the unit. I then saw that on one edge the "v" shape was a couple of mm longer. :D That has now resolved the problem. I could have initially assembled it the correct way, a 50/50 chance!!! :hello1:

I have still to give it a first light but now I have a chance.

Steve, if you are reading any of this, I think I will be keeping the SkySurfer.

John

Archived