Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is a force ?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tricky stuff, I don't think we can answer that. Science does a pretty good job of describing how things behave, but not what things are. But is there any way to describe a thing except through its interactions?

That's a photon of wavelength x, it does this.

That's Kevin, he burns things.

We have some ideas on how forces are mediated which allow us to make useful predictions, but do they truly correspond to an underlying physical reality?

A force is what makes things non-boring. Without force, if you put B into the room, it doesn't change what A is doing, everything just ignores everything else.

Great.  :grin:

I won't ask what happens if what  A was doing was more interesting before B came in...

No, point taken.

Olly

I don't think that force exists. At least not in a sense we think. Einstein has shown that gravity isn't really a force, but a result of a curved space-time. I think that in the future we'll demonstrate how other fundamental forces work and we'll know they also aren't forces. I know this may sound speculative but whatever

Archived