Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A note on a great observing site in South Wales......

EA2007

Hey all,

If anyone lives in the vicinity of Cardiff, Merthyr, Brecon etc then I highly recommend a good observing area just south of the town of Brecon.

Went there last night and the skies were amazing, the best I have seen so far in the U.K. There's a small hamlet named 'Libanus' just south of Brecon, if you take the road to the west (signed by a big brown mountain centre sign) when in Libanus and follow the road upto the top you will come across a junction after a cattle grid. Turn right and follow for about 100 yards and you'll come across a car park on the right.

Its a very useful area, even a toilet built into the mountain centre at the south end of the carpark. If you find that the trees in the car park are in the way (for horizon stuff) then go back out of the car park and turn right and straight away you'll come to an off road track which is basically open land (think the army use it for training exercises / hiking).

Got some great images of M81,82,42,44,51,Flame nebula and saturn.

(Only downside to the location is the posibility of cloud rolling in and mist)

Its not a camp site as far as I know, however there is plenty of room for a good few tents. Basically the car park is long and thin with the toilets at one end (south), just before you get to them on the left (east) then there's a big grassy area which looked ideal for tents.

Archived