stargazine_ep38_banner.thumb.jpg.6fe20536a22b28c17b2ee1818650993c.jpg

130pds Bonanza - NGC6960, C/2014 e2, M31 Andromeda, M16

Friday and Saturday night was pretty good, the first taste of an Autumn sky, not 100% ideal becuase I still got buzzed by the odd cloud bank - but still a goot run!

First, Ive gotten round to processing the data for comet Jacques, a tricky little blighter to get right when its your first go at a comet. Secondly, a first stab at M31 for this year (still a little low) - just 80min worth so there is still a long way to go on that. Once the lum is complete for it, I will drop the colour in from last years version.

Thirdly was M16, a spur of the moment decision since its something i havent tackled properly this year, at the moment it stands at just under two hours (needs three to be sure). And finally,the top-up for the Veil (still on first pane) to take it up to 3 hours per channel - I will post an 80ED crop of the broom for comparison.

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6, SWCC 0.9x

Thanks for looking! :)

Rob

C/2014 e2 Jacques + Soul Nebula

10x60 (lum stars & comet) L

4x900 Ha

x2 panes

post-5513-0-09399300-1408916201_thumb.jp

M31 Andromeda

7x600 L  (slight cloud damage)

post-5513-0-01369000-1408916328_thumb.jp

M16: Eagle Nebula

10x600 Ha

post-5513-0-27252500-1408916638_thumb.jp

NGC6960 - Veil Nebula

24x450 Ha & OIII (Synth Green)

post-5513-0-16397900-1408917115_thumb.jp

Now, a crop of the 130pds broom (three hours worth) :

post-5513-0-84061900-1408917148_thumb.jp

And finally, a crop of the 80ED version (also three hours, same camera):

post-5513-0-17235700-1408917170_thumb.jp

• Like 6

I concur with Sara - Excellent images... and again, it's great to see what you're getting out of that little 130PDS :smiley:

(A tad off-topic, but I'm intrigued to see the halo in your 80ED image last year... which is no longer present in your 130PDS image this year - During some testing a month or so ago, I got a halo on that star too (with an MN190) and wondered if it might be filter related... but if you're using the same setup (bar OTA), then I'm guessing that may not be true...)

AndyUK, on 25 Aug 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:AndyUK, on 25 Aug 2014 - 11:53 AM, said:

I concur with Sara - Excellent images... and again, it's great to see what you're getting out of that little 130PDS :smiley:

(A tad off-topic, but I'm intrigued to see the halo in your 80ED image last year... which is no longer present in your 130PDS image this year - During some testing a month or so ago, I got a halo on that star too (with an MN190) and wondered if it might be filter related... but if you're using the same setup (bar OTA), then I'm guessing that may not be true...)

Thanks Andy!

The halo on 52cyg (or any other bright star for that matter) was dealt with via a layer mask in Ps. Theyre pretty much inevitable when imaging a bright star for long enough.

All you need to do is use a gaussian blur of 7.5 on the mask layer, then use curves to cut the mask back to the stars you wish to control - if theyre within a nebula you may need to carefully go around the edge with the eraser, then blur a selection (using the lasso tool) again before perhaps using another curve to stretch the mask a bit more to increase the strength of control. Best to keep another view open though, so you can see the effect of the mask as you tweak it.

(edit: I really should do a "how to" on that subject, it might be useful)

• Like 1

The halo on 52cyg (or any other bright star for that matter) was dealt with via a layer mask in Ps. Theyre pretty much inevitable when imaging a bright star for long enough.

All you need to do is use a gaussian blur of 7.5 on the mask layer, then use curves to cut the mask back to the stars you wish to control - if theyre within a nebula you may need to carefully go around the edge with the eraser, then blur a selection (using the lasso tool) again before perhaps using another curve to stretch the mask a bit more to increase the strength of control. Best to keep another view open though, so you can see the effect of the mask as you tweak it.

(edit: I really should do a "how to" on that subject, it might be useful)

I'll certainly give that a go... and it might well put off the desire to move to 3nm Astrodons that little bit longer (which will definitely please my wife :smiley:!)... (If you can put a "how to" together, that might also be very useful too...!)