548140465_Animationchallenge.jpg.32379dfa6f3bf4bba537689690df680e.jpg

My first go at the Veil

SnakeyJ

first attempt at this target and quite pleasently surprised - I would just like to get something shorter and wider to fit the whole darned thing!

post-26731-0-55689900-1408877334_thumb.p

The scale is truly inspiring!   Conditions were very nice last night ;)

Image is 20 x 180sec exposures at ISO800 on Eos 1100D @ 900mm focal length.  Stacked in DSS and a little DPP in Neb3, before finishing in Gimp.

• Like 7

Jake cracking image but maybe bring the green channel inline abit to help balance out the background??  it looks a bit to grayish. those 1100Ds are producing some great images across the forum. after I get my 16" im tempted to get one for a wide field set up with the new sky watcher star adventure mount.

That looks great Jake. You're progressing all the time.

I stretched around a bit in photoshop, the green is not that bad, but there is quite a bit of gradient hiding in that greyness. Cant wait to see what you can produce with some flats.

I myself plan on bringing my scope out tonight for a crack quick dirty crack at Comet Jacques.

Thanks Daneil and Carl, comments appreciated and always welcomed.    I think I might add a flat panel to my shopping list next month, I'm currently using Gimp to generate and divide by an artificial background gradient, which helps a bit with the vignetting but far from perfect.

Think I'll make my own with an EL panel - but will check out the DIY section first for tips.

have you tried downloading HLGV? ISNT CS2 now avalible as a free download aswell?

Daniel, I haven't up to now and been looking for a s/h copy of CS4 - however, I have now and have installed the much cited HVLG and a demo of Gradient Xterminator.  Not sure why I've held out on Gimp so long, but how about this for a first pass with CS2:

post-26731-0-29911500-1408914562_thumb.p

Curves are definitely easier and smoother, HVLG and Gradient Xterminator rock ;)

Just need to find the PNG compression options to reduce the file size to manageable proportions....

Edited by SnakeyJ
  • Like 1

Try a 300mm prime L lens :)

Not sure if I'm ready for the price of a decent 300mm prime, but dropping 600mm of focal length should improve my guiding!   Can I squeeze an OAG in between camera and lens?

The original image was a bit washed out on my monitor but after a quick levels it´s very nice!

I don´t know if this is too dark for everyone else but it looks ok on my monitor.

I love the detail in the wispy bits:

post-1827-0-94423100-1408916029_thumb.pn

it needs some flats and more processing.

Edited by ncjunk
  • Like 1

That Neil, is a stunner - very nice indeed on my laptop.   I shall go a bit harder on levels and setting the black point and mid points for this.

Flat panel is my next project, looking at an A3 EL panel with an old laptop screen diffuser and paper to get the right range - roll on pay day!

Very nice Jake - you could try one of these for flats:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huion-L4S-A4-LED-Light-Box-Animation-Drawing-Tracing-Stencil-Board-Table-Pad-/291172401675?pt=UK_Collectables_InputDevices_RL&hash=item43cb3a420b   Mine seems to work very well with my 1000D.  Make sure you get one with variable illumination - this one has and also works from a USB port (I use a mains plug with a USB port built in - not sure if you have mains access?) a good deal for £27.

PS the Photoshop CS2 deal is only for folk who have bought a licence with the original software - it is NOT freeware!!  (I believe it will fail to work if you don't have the correct license)

• Like 1

Very nice Jake, you captured a lot of detail there for 180 subs.

It's a great target & one of the few you can do in one night for a pretty good shot.

Like you say a little more processing & you will be there.

Well done.

• Like 1

Very nice Jake - you could try one of these for flats:  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Huion-L4S-A4-LED-Light-Box-Animation-Drawing-Tracing-Stencil-Board-Table-Pad-/291172401675?pt=UK_Collectables_InputDevices_RL&hash=item43cb3a420b   Mine seems to work very well with my 1000D.  Make sure you get one with variable illumination - this one has and also works from a USB port (I use a mains plug with a USB port built in - not sure if you have mains access?) a good deal for £27.

PS the Photoshop CS2 deal is only for folk who have bought a licence with the original software - it is NOT freeware!!  (I believe it will fail to work if you don't have the correct license)

Thanks Roger - I think A4 width is 210mm, but I will need a clear 220mm for the Explorer 200P to ensure even illumination, unfortunately the next step up seems to be A3 and quite a bit more pricey.    I was thinking of getting a 12 x 12" square of EL panel, mounting this on a board with a thick foam cut out to squeeze around the top of the OTA.     Dimmable is not so straightforward with the EL's, but I have some old laptop screen diffusers and some neutral paper should help attenuate the light somewhat.

I did find a key and download link at Techspot - though am quite happy to purchase this, I've struggled far too long with the Gimp and produced better output in half an hour with PS, Gradient Xterminator and HLVG ;)

Beautiful Jake! Is your camera modded? If not, this will inspire me to keep struggling with my 7d :smiley:

Tack sa Mr Bergman - I have modded the 1100D, ACF2 removal following Gary Honis's excellent guide.      A little scary on something more expensive like the 7d, but I only paid £ 165 for my factory refurbished body, which is £50 cheaper than my quide/planetary camera!

You will still get some excellent pictures with an unmodded 7d - check out Alan Brock's images http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/09/incredible-photos-of-the-universe-shot-on-a-stock-canon-eos-7d-by-alan-brock/

Tack sa Mr Bergman - I have modded the 1100D, ACF2 removal following Gary Honis's excellent guide.      A little scary on something more expensive like the 7d, but I only paid £ 165 for my factory refurbished body, which is £50 cheaper than my quide/planetary camera!

You will still get some excellent pictures with an unmodded 7d - check out Alan Brock's images http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/09/incredible-photos-of-the-universe-shot-on-a-stock-canon-eos-7d-by-alan-brock/

I had a look at Gary Honis mod, but as you say it´s a bit scary on a 7d. In that case I think I will continue with my dslr as it is until it´s time to try ccd-imaging. ( if I don´t stumble over an already modded used canon ). Prices are going down and tech improves, and since I already use my laptop for PHD, my argument for not using a ccd is already long gone. But that is for future plans! Thank you for the link to Alan Brock, very interesting! His NGC7000 is impressive for being an unmodded camera, I would say. That´s something I´ll have to try.