Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is it me, or is it getting darker......

earth titan

Just wanted to check someone else's opinion, especially if they live in Northants.

I was out observing visually last night and could swear the skies have gotten darker. It was my 1st session this year since summer gave in and started getting darker again, but I swear I could see more this year than last.

Northants is gradually switching over to white street lights and this might account for it. I think about 40% of the county is done so far (not my street yet) - perhaps this is having an effect.

Tom

Without question it is much darker, the new lights have made a real difference in the town. It is especially noticeable after midnight  :smiley: What a great pity they didn't install movement sensors on the dual carriageways that work after midnight . 

Before I moved from Acton the local council had started to replace the HPS lamps with LED. I *think* the sky was getting a bit darker but didn't have enough good dark nights to be sure. At the time they had only got round to doing the main roads but have stated the intention to replace all the street lights.

Where I am now they are mostly LPS, but are HPS on the main roads, but in full cut-off housings. The lamps are somewhat sparser and there are fewer random sources of LP so my sky is marginally darker, perhaps half a Bortle.

Isn't there some pressure to shield lamps these days so that the light actually goes where it's supposed to instead of being broadcast to the sky?

Governments/councils could save millions every year by installing these lights that direct the light downwards instead of losing most of it up towards the cosmos. It makes sense. Think about it, its pretty difficult to buy a domestic light bulb these days that is not an energy saving one. Also, people with security lights on their homes could save money by lowering the power of the bulbs they use and repositioning them so they point downwards.

Tom

Without question it is much darker, the new lights have made a real difference in the town. It is especially noticeable after midnight :smiley: What a great pity they didn't install movement sensors on the dual carriageways that work after midnight .

I know you're in Northants, so you've noticed a difference too?

Archived