Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

tenbyfifty

what is the widest field of view possible with scope/ep combination?

just wondered if a short wide aperture scope with the right ep can give u the same view as the biggest (affordable) binoculars ie 25x100s?

A scope can often go wider, because it can use 2" EPs more easily. I use my 80mm  F/6 with 31T5 Nagler at 5.3 deg true FOV. With the 42mm I can get to 5.7 deg or so. More than my 15x70mm bins. A 100mm F/5 scope could get about the same FOV out of those EPs.

I just ran my scope through the calculator (thanks Laurie) and got this with the WO 40mm eyepiece.

Focal Length:  420mm  
Magnification: 10x
True Field of View: 6.7°   (Orion's Belt could easily fit into the field of view)
Exit Pupil: 6.8 mm
Theoretical Resolving Power: 1.63 arcseconds
Approximate Limiting Magnitude of Telescope: +10.2 (under dark, moonless skies)

Must get one

Alan

A scope can often go wider, because it can use 2" EPs more easily. I use my 80mm  F/6 with 31T5 Nagler at 5.3 deg true FOV. With the 42mm I can get to 5.7 deg or so. More than my 15x70mm bins. A 100mm F/5 scope could get about the same FOV out of those EPs.

Wot he said.

Dave

My widest combo is a Vixen ED102 F/6.5 and the 31mm Nagler which gives me 3.83 true degrees at 21.4x and an exit pupil of 4.77mm.

My Pronto and ES28/68 gives me 16x, 4.23* true field and 4.36mm exit pupil.