Aperture for image processing?

szymon

Does anyone out there use aperture for processing their astro images? I use it for almost all the processing I do on my terrestrial photography so I'm very used to it. It has a lot more functionality than people realise, it's much more than eg. Lightroom (although it often gets dismissed as being equivalent) and I'm wondering whether I really need to go out and learn photoshop or gimp. What are the killer features that PS has for astro?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could not live without Layer masks, layers and the selective colour tool in PS. 

My opinion is not to be influenced by what others think. There's a tendency to feel that you need certain processing software without ever realising how your current one works. I would not be able to use anything that doesn't have the above (apart from the usual curves, levels etc) - I would say that if you know your way around the software that's half the battle won. Give it a go and see how you feel - Don't just change your software because everyone extols the virtues of something else :smiley:

Aperture can do layers, can use masks to selectively modify colours, can brush various adjustments in where needed, and in general is a pretty powerful editor.  I think I'll stick with it for now until I realise that I need something "more powerful".  Mind you, I've not yet worked with stacked images, so I'll probably realise for myself eventually that I need something else!  Would be great to know if there is anyone out there who is working with Aperture for astro though...

It sounds as if it should do the job. I also use Pixinsight and could not live without Dynamic (or Automatic) background extraction or SCNR Green, though there is also Hasta La Vista Green for Ps. I don't know if there is a standalone.

The hard stretch given to astro images does introduce gradients which need careful attention and purpose made tools are the best.

Olly

Archived