Narrowband

Two afocal M3's 26/02/08

Whippy

This was low down and just over the surrounding houses, well in the murk of the atmosphere so I think this glorious glob deserves another crack in a couple of weeks or so when it's higher up. In the meantime, this is my first globular cluster image and I'm quite chuffed with them especially the 'bigger' version.

As per usual, it's the Canon Powershot A610, Baader Hyperion eyepieces with a Neodynium filter on the Celestron C8N and EQ6. Stacked in DSS (30x15 secs each one) with a bit of playing around with levels in Photoshop.

'smaller' version taken with a 13mm EP:

4089_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

'bigger' version with an 8mm EP:

4090_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Tony..

You certainly make this method work for you Tony. They are excellent, and you are entitled to applaud yourself.

It must be quite difficult Imaging DSO's Afocally, but you obviously have a talent for it.

Well done sir.

Ron. :D

Howdy, great images, just a wee question from me, 'afocal' is that where use use a bracket and position the camera just in front of the EP?

Might be a daft question but I am thinking of getting another camera and if I can get good images with a point and shoot camera with full manual control then I could justify it easier to SWMBO, :D

Gary

Howdy, great images, just a wee question from me, 'afocal' is that where use use a bracket and position the camera just in front of the EP?

Might be a daft question but I am thinking of getting another camera and if I can get good images with a point and shoot camera with full manual control then I could justify it easier to SWMBO, :D

Gary

Basically, yes. I was quite lucky in that we already had the camera and that it's able to take an adapter but there other makes, including Canon's newer 'G' range. IMO, what you need is a camera with as much exposure time as possible (mine has a maximum of 15 seconds), control over the ISO and aperture settings and a timer that preferably can do multiple shots. And a fast scope like a f5 reflector would be good too. I've tried doing DSO's in my f7 refractor and there's a huge difference.

Tony..

Archived