Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Get ready for comet C/2014 E2 (Jacques)

cotterless45

I'm just in the process of setting up the scope. I'm hoping to catch it as soon as it goes dark because it looks like it'll be lost behind the house until the early hours.

Then again, it's not a telescope. It's the Great Attractor. It attracts clouds :( 

Greetings

I managed to capture a few frames as it passed near Mirfak on the 13th you can see a gap in the stacks the small gap is 15 seconds the large is 30

bad LP here but working on a soloution

post-28592-0-77156900-1408481734_thumb.j

this is small file from pda may post large when home

Andy

I decided the easiest way to find this with the scope was to GOTO the double cluster and hop northish. Anyway after slewing this big beast the eyepiece was out of reach so rotated the tube in the rings knowing it would probable knock the alignment out of kilter. Which it did. No worries I thought can soon hand-ball it back and keep alignment.

Anyway, when I looked through the eyepiece I had a comet in the field of view! Not for long as the infestation of low, fast cumulus clouds got in the way. I decided to re-center the double cluster and hopefully regain GOTO alignment. That went ok but I'm blowed if I can find that comet again.

What, with clouds and stuff it's a pain.

So I've just come in to get the RA & DEC to input directly!

Clouds willing...

No joy where it right now is bang by the street light and I can't see nada with naked eye, bins or even the camera. I did get andromeda in the lens and topk loads of images and now realise what it was and know that I could not have pointed the lens right even though I had the elevation right as the street lamp would be there so unless I wake up in the middle of the night it is a no go.

I found it again once the sky cleared.

Just got the RA&DEC off SkySafari on my phone at the eyepiece and put them straight in the handset. 30 second job!

No the most excitingest comet so far but my sky isn't helping. I couldn't even spot the double cluster naked eye :(

It seemed quite clear between the frequent clouds but the combination of aging eyes and light pollution are taking their toll.

No sign of elongation or a tail.

Picked the comet up easily at 10.30pm in 10x50's, with the double cluster tight against the field in the right side of the binocular the comet was just in the left edge of the field. The comet was stunning in my 50x300mm reflecting binocular telescope with its 1.6 degree FOV.  :smiley:

Stuck the camera on the east facing window ledge set it to take a photo every 20 seconds and went to bed, will see what I got later after work. Hoping the battery lasted long enough for the comet to come in to view. I used the kit lens to get a wider field of view but it is not as light gathering as my old 55mm.

Should have used the delay feature thinking about it.

Archived