Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Skywatcher AZ EQ5-GT GEQ & Alt-Az mount

FLO

The highly successful Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT mount will soon have a kid sister - the Skywatcher AZ EQ5-GT.

We have some details at our website but please note the mount is still in development so features and specification have yet to be confirmed and might change. 

The ETA for first delivery is a rather vague "around autumn/winter" but we will post more news, a price and a revised ETA as soon as we are able. 

EDIT New up-to-date info HERE :smile: 

skywatcher_az-eq5gt_mount.jpg

Sweet. This is a HEQ5 in the style of the new az6 ? ?

Yes. As far as we can tell, what the AZ EQ6-GT is to the NEQ6 PRO, the AZ EQ5-GT is to the HEQ5 PRO. Hope that makes sense  :smile:

We will of course need to wait until launch to know what it is really like but the Skywatcher AZ EQ6-GT has been a huge success and the more expensive EQ8 is already installed in garden, school and uni' observatories across the UK. So we are quietly confident. 

Steve

I've not got on well with SW mounts in the past, but the possibility of a dual alt/az mount for HEQ5 money/weight (give or take!) is seriously interesting. The "whisper quiet" slewing is also very attractive for someone who regularly takes his scopes to campsites full of non-astro types. too. :)

Can you expand further of the 'pier' and 'HEQ5 tripod' options?

Russell

Can you expand further of the 'pier' and 'HEQ5 tripod' options?

My understanding is, the new AZ EQ5-GT will sit on a regular HEQ5 tripod but Skywatcher will offer another more compact tripod with pier extension for those wanting maximum portability. Here's a photo showing them both. 

HTH  :smile:

skywatcher_az_eq5-gt_tripods.jpg

.... the possibility of a dual alt/az mount for HEQ5 money/weight (give or take!) is seriously interesting. 

I don't think it's price will be similar to the HEQ5 PRO. If we use the AZ EQ6-GT as a guide, it is priced 39% higher than the NEQ6 PRO (using our website prices, not RRP). The HEQ5 PRO sells for £749 so if we apply the same percentage increase it will be priced at around £1k. But I might be wrong :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

Steve That Pierpod look interesting, Have SW standardised the fitting or is it unique to this mount only?

Looking at the image closer it looks to be a bolt in section not unlike the extensions for HEQ5 and NEQ6 is this correct?

I don't think it's price will be similar to the HEQ5 PRO. If we use the AZ EQ6-GT as a guide, it is priced 39% higher than the NEQ6 PRO (using our website prices, not RRP). The HEQ5 PRO sells for £749 so if we apply the same percentage increase it will be priced at around £1k. But I might be wrong :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

How much :eek:  :cry:  Is that estimate of £1k for the AZ EQ5 or have I read that wrong ??

I had done a similar calculation based on the EQ5 PRO/ EQ6 PRO & AZ EQ6 but with the inherently lower price of smaller load capacity mounts figured the TAX man wouldn't take such a large chunk so got it too around £700 ish.

I think while the duel scope advantage of the AZ EQ5 may be attractive to those who want the mount for visual observing but the price new would surely have to compete with used EQ6 PRO's that offer a longer term investment in that they can handle pretty much most size scopes you throw at it and if need be can mount 2 scopes using a side by side saddle.

You and Russ might be right and my guesstimate last night is probably wrong (it was past midnight and I was low on caffeine) because I based it on the HEQ5 PRO, not the more affordable EQ5 PRO. If we assume the retail will be approx 1/3 more than the EQ5 PRO then it will sell for around  £750, which is the same price as the HEQ5 PRO. 

Us retailers don't actually know so I will stop guessing and will do my best to obtain a ball-park price from the importer :smiley:

UPDATE: The importer says the price hasn't been set but will most likely be around £1k. 

HTH, 

Steve 

I like it and I really wish i'd gone for it's big bro instead of my neq6. don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the neq6 but having seen and played with an AZ-EQ6, I just like it.

Just a quick question...can you mount your guiding etc instead of the weights thus effectively increasing the payload?. Sorry if I've missed the mark with this :D.

Steve That Pierpod look interesting, Have SW standardised the fitting or is it unique to this mount only?

Looking at the image closer it looks to be a bolt in section not unlike the extensions for HEQ5 and NEQ6 is this correct?

...can you mount your guiding etc instead of the weights thus effectively increasing the payload?. Sorry if I've missed the mark with this :D.

Unfortunately we won't know until we receive our first delivery. Sorry :smiley: 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Ah. Thanks Steve. I had wondered if it could have been a stability issue. The pier/leg combo doesn't benefit from the bracing effect of a lens tray. Nice idea though, maybe a better version may appear one day.

Archived