Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ISS pass tonight. 

Single shot with Equinox ED80 + TV Powermate 2X  1/400 sec @ ISO 800

post-34685-0-69583200-1408311063_thumb.j

• Like 14

This is a dream of mine to get a shot like this, I just need to work out where to start I've got as far as watching it go over head! :)

• Like 1

Wow, great shot!  The best I have ever done showed a very bright light and nothing more.  I love the details!

Isabelle

• Like 1

that is a fantasic effort, especially for a single frame, did you wait for it to pass through the field of view or try and follow it?

• Like 1

that is a fantasic effort, especially for a single frame, did you wait for it to pass through the field of view or try and follow it?

This is my second 'acceptable' shot in three attempts at the ISS so hoping for better if I can get directly overhead. This one was at 63 deg. First I focused on a bright star then set the camera to continuous. I then lay on my back and positioned my legs so that they helped support the weight of the telescope/camera and followed the ISS across the sky keeping the shutter depressed whenever I could see it in the viewfinder. Not the most comfortable or elegant position but it seems to work. That gave me about 100 shots to sift through of which about 5 were OK.. This was the best of those. The shot was then cropped, sharpened a little and histogram tweeked.

Have practiced following planes across the sky during the day which has definitely helped aiming the scope. Could try using finderscope next time.

Edited by davefrance

So you are saying this is a single frame, not a stack? Well, that is superb! I'd take my hat off to you if I were wearing one. :icon_salut:

• Like 1

So you are saying this is a single frame, not a stack? Well, that is superb! I'd take my hat off to you if I were wearing one. :icon_salut:

Correct, it is a single shot/frame NOT a stack. Bet you're glad you didn't say you would eat your hat.  :smiley:

This is the original frame. If anyone wants to try and bring out more detail feel free. As you can see it is a pretty small object.

post-34685-0-72437200-1408364642_thumb.j

This is my second 'acceptable' shot in three attempts at the ISS so hoping for better if I can get directly overhead. This one was at 63 deg. First I focused on a bright star then set the camera to continuous. I then lay on my back and positioned my legs so that they helped support the weight of the telescope/camera and followed the ISS across the sky keeping the shutter depressed whenever I could see it in the viewfinder. Not the most comfortable or elegant position but it seems to work. That gave me about 100 shots to sift through of which about 5 were OK.. This was the best of those. The shot was then cropped, sharpened a little and histogram tweeked.

Have practiced following planes across the sky during the day which has definitely helped aiming the scope. Could try using finderscope next time.

Dave that is ace - im just trying to picture your setup! I only have a 2.5x powermate (1.5 inch diameter) - is the 2x two inches in diameter and thus fits between the focusser and the camera itself? And no mount for scope in this situation?

Edited by Fordos Moon
  • Like 1

Dave that is ace - im just trying to picture your setup! I only have a 2.5x powermate (1.5 inch diameter) - is the 2x two inches in diameter and thus fits between the focusser and the camera itself? And no mount for scope in this situation?

Hi, set up as follows:-

ED 80 + 2"(50mm) extension + 2" (50mm) TV 2x Powermate with black portion removed and TV T-Ring added + Canon T-Ring + Camera

No mount, hand held with knees to support as described above.

post-34685-0-85174200-1408370012_thumb.j

Edited by davefrance

Thats ace - perfect response cheers Dave!!

The prime requirements have to be a dark cloudless sky and an ISS pass as near to 90 deg as possible. Not an easy combination.