Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Rudeviewer

My first go at the Trifid nebula

Here is my frist try at the Trifid.  13 stacked images of 3:00 minute shots at 1600 iso with an unmodded canon t3i.  3 dark shots.  Cropped to remove coma.

I never thought I could even get this much of the nebula to show, so I am pretty excited to get what I got for 3 minute subs.  I tried for 5 but they were overexposed in my opinion.

post-34263-0-98196500-1408298496_thumb.p

• Like 3

Thanks I thought so too.  I would like to get more out the outerlying nebula though.  The blues seem very faint.  Maybe more exposure time and a lower iso to reduce noise.  Maybe 800 next time.

I agree that looks very nice for unmodded.

your giving me hope for my processing today. I got a ton of data on the bubble nebula last night. with my unmodded 5d mark ii. my first attempt at any nebula ever.

This was just quickly done in photoshop CS2 no gradient removal just a simple starmask applied before processing.  I am still processing this one just messing around as we speak lol.

I await your bubble nebula, I tried that one with my camera and 3:00 min shots just didn't show too much for me.  I think about a third of the bubble showed.

does anyone have any good links they could supply on how to properly do a starmask in photoshop?  I tried in these images to do it however looking at them on a different screen shows just how blown out these images are.  Stars were quite small from just the basic stacked images then got this...

That's a great image, I'm always surprised at what my unmoved dslr captures.

I greatly prefer the first one and I'm not sure your focus was as good as it could be. You'd have less need of star masking if you could really nail focus but it isn't always easy. How do you focus at present?

I doubt that you'd be over exposed in longer subs.

Odd that you are short of blue signal in an unmodded camera, so I suspect longer subs would help.

Olly

I used a bahatinov mask and the line was perfectly in the middle of the "X".  I think I just blew the image out by overprocessing.  And I agree about the liking the first one more then the second.  I want more data but of course after I got that, its been cloudy and dismal.

messed with the png file a lil more.  Got bored at the end of work here.  Added some saturation to the first image and turned the red down to straighten the background a lil.

post-34263-0-37650700-1408575489_thumb.p

Last time processing I could do it over and over again.  Just tired of the cloudy rainy days!

post-34263-0-54143700-1408583497_thumb.p

That last process is very nice I loved doing this one for the first time so exciting getting it in the bag

I think since I am running out of time at my location the next dark night I get I will doing the lagoon since it is so close to this one.  Very pleased with this last processing effort.  Each one gets better.