Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first go at the Trifid nebula

Rudeviewer

Here is my frist try at the Trifid.  13 stacked images of 3:00 minute shots at 1600 iso with an unmodded canon t3i.  3 dark shots.  Cropped to remove coma.

I never thought I could even get this much of the nebula to show, so I am pretty excited to get what I got for 3 minute subs.  I tried for 5 but they were overexposed in my opinion.

post-34263-0-98196500-1408298496_thumb.p

does anyone have any good links they could supply on how to properly do a starmask in photoshop?  I tried in these images to do it however looking at them on a different screen shows just how blown out these images are.  Stars were quite small from just the basic stacked images then got this...

I greatly prefer the first one and I'm not sure your focus was as good as it could be. You'd have less need of star masking if you could really nail focus but it isn't always easy. How do you focus at present?

I doubt that you'd be over exposed in longer subs.

Odd that you are short of blue signal in an unmodded camera, so I suspect longer subs would help.

Olly

I used a bahatinov mask and the line was perfectly in the middle of the "X".  I think I just blew the image out by overprocessing.  And I agree about the liking the first one more then the second.  I want more data but of course after I got that, its been cloudy and dismal.

I think since I am running out of time at my location the next dark night I get I will doing the lagoon since it is so close to this one.  Very pleased with this last processing effort.  Each one gets better. 

Archived