SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What ep's do people recommend?

Hey, 

To give a quick bit of background, I started off with the Skywatcher Explorer 130, and have recently moved up to the 200p. It's probably on the upper limits of portability... you'll want to be a healthy adult to lug the tube and mount over 100m. 

In terms of views, I don't think you'll be disappointed. I've only just got first light on mine, but I got a far better look at Andromeda last night than I ever did with my 130. In terms of the best value for money; aperture should be your priority. But if its going to be to heavy/big for you to want to lug to a dark sky site, then stick with the option you will use. 

In terms of EP's I took the advice of the guys here and went with the BST Starguiders, an 8mm and 15mm. In hindsight, I wish I'd gone for a lower power than the 15 but otherwise I'm happy with them. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's also worth nothing that the 200p comes with a Skywatcher 28mm LET EP. (At least mine did) This EP certainly wouldn't be on anyones "to buy" list, but to my eye it is much better than the standard EP's I got with my 130. It suffers from coma the further from the centre of the field you get, but all in all it does an OK job - I suspect it would suffice you until you can afford a nicer EP. 

Archived