Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

tenbyfifty

Anyone seen that comet they mentioned on S@N?

looked for it last night but couldn't see it using 10x50s

was looking in area to left of mirphak.

also does stellarium show comets ?

i may have been looking in wrong place but according to SA it is mag 10.7

so maybe I need bigger bins

you can add it to stellarium (SA) if u search for comet jacques:
config window(F2)/ plug-ins
select solar system editor then hit configure button
solar system tab/import orbital elements...
online search tab/enter 'comet jacques'
it should appear in list of solar system  objects as C/2014 E2 (Jacques)
you may have to restart SA

its brighter than that. I'm not very adept at estimating magnitudes but other forum members report in the other thread. For some reason various planetarium apps seem to underestimate the magnitude of comets. I use Luminos, which is great for locating comets, but always seems to get the brightness wrong.

its brighter than that. I'm not very adept at estimating magnitudes but other forum members report in the other thread. For some reason various planetarium apps seem to underestimate the magnitude of comets. I use Luminos, which is great for locating comets, but always seems to get the brightness wrong.

cheers 4 that, cloudy 2nite i think, i'll have another go tomorrow

Also have a look here - http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/ - Jacques is top of the list and you can see exactly where it'll be on any given night by clicking on the finder chart. 6.7 mag at the start of this month and fading slowly it says, so you'll easily see it in bins.

Also have a look here - http://cometchasing.skyhound.com/ - Jacques is top of the list and you can see exactly where it'll be on any given night by clicking on the finder chart. 6.7 mag at the start of this month and fading slowly it says, so you'll easily see it in bins.

Thanks, great chart.

Paul

Greetings

Nice views even from my location in the near town centre of Mansfield, I tried to stack a few images but it turns into a bright dotted line in a greenish mist.

Found it first with 12X50 bins but this site helps nail the area to scan http://theskylive.com/, With binoculars it looks quite fuzzy and faint no colour but it is a smudge worth hunting.

Andy

I had a look on Wednesday but maybe the moon was too bright and I couldn't see the comet. I think it can be seen easily enough though if you know the exact location. I'm waiting until end of this week when it will be near the W.

I found it in my 15x70's last night using the Comet Chasing chart. It wasn't brilliant as it was barely dark and there was a bit of cloud about, but definitely a smudge of a comet.