Narrowband

O-III Filter?

Skynovice

Are you doing a report on the subject?....please,please pretty please;)

Cal, I will write a report once some more objects roll into view and I get some more time on the current targets. I may try a Lumicon dob filter slide but it has mixed reviews, also I'm wandering upwards in exit pupil from dark sites using these filters, for some nebula or parts of nebula....

For targets I was thinking NA neb, Pelican, (Bubble, Sh2-157), Veil complex ( I need the Veil map), the Little Veil ( need the name, just above Albireo), Monkeyhead, Rosette, M42,M57,M27 or any others members can think of. I wonder if there is interest in a report from brighter skies too?

The Sh2-157 area is very interesting and I hope to see more of it- its huge and a widefield 26mm might be best :cry: , the 25mm TV should tell the tale....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've been holding out for about a year now. I picked up the astronomik UHC last year for £100 thinking it may be of use on certain objects,having done without a filter for the last couple of years i sort of became a "dont bother with them type"!!, but after seeing the veil with simon's 22" at dobfest2 i realised i'm missing out buy not having one,and for me its between the lumi and the astro Gerry

You can't go wrong with either. The Lumicon is darker and offers more contrast and is also more exit pupil sensitive IMHO, hence my 30mm ES and 25mm TV (Hb too). It may be better from lighter skies than the Astronomik. However the Bubble neb all but disappeared in the Lumicon and was very good in the Astro....

The Astro appears much more flexible in regards to exit pupil as I can up the mag substantially with it ie 2mm exit on the Veil which puzzles me. The Astro also showed the Lobster claw.....and a portion of another huge neb cloud on the other side of it, none of this in the Lumicon.

I'm thinking you want to get an OIII soon estwing, so here's a brief summary so far. Your bigger scope maybe an equalizer though, not sure- more mag at any exit than me.....

Eagerly waiting  your OIII report from that great Moonshane/Nichol dob!

I have the Lumicon UHC and OIII Calvin and have been very pleased with them compared with cheaper versions, but haven't compared to the Astronomiks.

I think the Lumicon has a tighter band pass than the Astronomik, but I've still been able to get good use out of the OIII in the Genesis at dark sites.

I know you dob chaps have all had your retinas burned off looking through your scopes so would probably be unimpressed with the views, ;-), but seeing the whole Veil or NA neb is pretty nice to see.

These things help in LP, but really come into their own under a dark sky I reckon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Somehow stella® would have been more appropriate, but it was a very nice, cold Heineken.

My apologies for derailing the thread :-)

Nothing to see here, move along now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the Olll Astronomik out last night for the first time this year, worked very nicely until the Moon made an entry. Veil was lovely in the 190mm M/N, I wonder how it will look with a lager scope.

I didn't know you had the Astronomik O-III Alan. I find it works really well in a wide range of apertures.

John,

I went after the Olll Astronomik after you wrote a post about 18 months back saying you had either had or seen a Baader or maybe skywatcher and you felt the extra money was well spent on the Astonomik if you could afford it. One came up for 100 quid while I was here so I paid for it and had it posted to me when I was in Hull last August. I am sort of hoping the veil will still be around when the 18 inch shows up, it will not show all of it but I will get about 1.3 degrees of FOV with the Paracorr.

If there was such a mirror as say F2.4 and 20 inches imagine what it would look like, it might be all you looked at that night and the next.

Alan

....If there was such a mirror as say F2.4 and 20 inches imagine what it would look like, it might be all you looked at that night and the next.....

:smiley:

Even with my humble 12" theres lots to explore in and around this object. I'll never tire of it. I think folks who have not viewed the Veil may think it's just another DSO to tick off the list and might question the investment in a suitable filter but it's one of the top objects in the night sky to my mind.

For me the O-III is the filter I would recommend for any serious observer of nebulae. I find the contrast boosts this filter gives provide the best results in any scope of any aperture.

I use a Lumicon myself and can't praise it highly enough, but it is a pricey filter and cheaper options offer close results.

maybe at swsp we can do a head to head with the astronomik UHC i have 

I had the Olll Astronomik out last night for the first time this year, worked very nicely until the Moon made an entry. Veil was lovely in the 190mm M/N, I wonder how it will look with a lager scope.

Stu,

i have stayed at that hotel.

Alan

make sure its the first object you look at with your new scope! or a glob :D

:smiley:

Even with my humble 12" theres lots to explore in and around this object. I'll never tire of it. I think folks who have not viewed the Veil may think it's just another DSO to tick off the list and might question the investment in a suitable filter but it's one of the top objects in the night sky to my mind.

I did think this but took on board all you had posted and took a leap of faith, pleased I did.

Archived