Narrowband

After the moon comes M42. My first go at a DSO

Lee

After my first image post of the moon on SGL I got the idea to try something a bit more challenging.

M45 M42 (thanks Troopers) :oops:, CPC100, Pentax K100D, Single exposure 30 seconds.

I have not attempted any processing as I would not know where to start. Feel free comment or have a play.

4056_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Lee.

Looks great - certainly something I'd be proud of if it were my first go (not even got to that point yet :D). The image does show quite a bit of CCD noise though. What's the etiquette on tidying up these types of images? Is it frowned upon or do people generally apply usual post processing techniques as one would with normal photography?

Hi Lee, to be honest my question was more around how people process these images in general rather than yours in particular. From my own background as a photographer there is always a debate about the 'truthfulness' of an image as contrasted to how the person who took the image may present it. My own view is that an image can be manipulated in any way the taker sees fit, but I wondered if for astrophotography there were certain 'taboos' that were in place when it comes to image manipulation.

Anyway, enough of that windbaggery :D. My own take on your image is that some noise reduction would be helpful and maybe a touch more contrast. As an example, I'll show this as a quick idea of what I am referring to. One thing I found with this image is that the highlights are clipped so there is no way that can be recovered, but the noise can be reduced a little - though it can result in a softer image (I've been conservative on the NR - it could be applied a little more thickly maybe). No such thing as a free lunch I guess :lol:.

2294714644_4418275b34_o.jpg

Thanks dynamo hum,

You raise a very interesting point. I have seen some very heavily adjusted images in the past.

I believe there is a fine line between enhancing an image, and adjusting an image. The line I believe is down to personal choice.

Me... well I like just enough to enhance. I feel another thread coming on.

P.S thanks for the enhancement. :D

Archived