SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Exmoor observing

Hi all

I'm heading on down to Exmoor to enjoy the nice dark skies there and meet Mike73 for a nights deep sky observing on the 22nd or 23rd next week depending on weather.

If anyone would like to come along and meet up with us you're more than welcome. Drop me or mike73 a PM and we'll provide the exact location.

I'm sure we'll find some middle ground for us all to meet up at some point Iain. I quite enjoy trying new observing sites and don't mind driving (which is lucky!) :)

Take it easy on that Vespa Calv and have fun.

I may be able to make it.  Depends on other stuff I don't know yet :(  I'll drop Mike a PM about location anyhow.  Be nice to bring the big dob out, though I'm really not happy with the base at the moment.  I think I'm going to make a new one.

James

Typical, I am staying just outside of Exmoor at the moment but head home on the 20th!

Thanks for the invite though and enjoy the skies.

The Moon has been a bit of a pain this week, but weather-wise it's not been too bad for stargazing either.  This end of Exmoor, at least.  The seeing has been a bit random, but it's been far better than any of the last few summers.

James

Well its looking fairly promising for the weekend but all the forecast sites I've been looking at are still pretty undecided on which night will be best, lets just hope tomorrows forecast will clear things up a little. 

Anyone else interested in meeting on Exmoor for some decent dark sky observing this weekend drop me a message for the location. :)

• 1 month later...

Hi, not sure, as a Newb, if this merits a new subject or if I'm correct in continuing this one, but here goes:

I'm fortunate to live in Taunton, with Exmoor only half an hour's drive away. I drove up to Wimbleball Lake recently, this being one of the National Park Authority's promoted sites within the Dark Sky Reserve, but couldn't find anywhere to set up: the main car park is surrounded by trees and next to the campsite, full of pesky kids (mea culpa, I'm on a steep learning curve and wanted to be left alone to grasp polar alignment), and the only suitable site I'd identified on Google Maps beforehand was down by the lake, and barriered off at that time of night.

So, my question is, has anyone else been to Wimbleball and found a good location around the lake?

Thanks

StevieO 

So, my question is, has anyone else been to Wimbleball and found a good location around the lake?

I walked around the whole of Wimbleball last week and trying to think of a spot.

Leave it with me and I will get back to you this evening.

I'm sure you'd be welcome to come and set up in one of our fields if you just wanted somewhere darker than Taunton.  We're in Pitsford Hill and get a small amount of LP from Wivey, but nothing serious when the seeing is good.  The most that's likely to disturb you is the occasional badger or fox.  I'm not getting a whole lot of observing done myself at the moment because things have been stupendously busy for the last couple of months, so you'd probably have to face them alone :)

The weather can be quite different from Taunton though.  I had to catch a train yesterday morning and whilst it was clear-ish here by the time I'd dropped the 100m or so of altitude into Taunton you could hardly see the car in front.

James

I'm sure you'd be welcome to come and set up in one of our fields if you just wanted somewhere darker than Taunton.  We're in Pitsford Hill and get a small amount of LP from Wivey, but nothing serious when the seeing is good.  The most that's likely to disturb you is the occasional badger or fox.  I'm not getting a whole lot of observing done myself at the moment because things have been stupendously busy for the last couple of months, so you'd probably have to face them alone :)

The weather can be quite different from Taunton though.  I had to catch a train yesterday morning and whilst it was clear-ish here by the time I'd dropped the 100m or so of altitude into Taunton you could hardly see the car in front.

James

James what can I say that's a really kind offer which I'd like to take up. I could let you have my email address but not sure if that's breaking forum protocols, so will be guided by you.

Steve

James what can I say that's a really kind offer which I'd like to take up. I could let you have my email address but not sure if that's breaking forum protocols, so will be guided by you.

No problem.  I'll PM you mine.

James

Archived