Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ethos eyepieces

Naf

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was aware you had a bunch of Ethos Michael, was probably glued to my dob last time I saw you at Derwent, next time though.....

Like I was looking through your lovely scope as i had left my pier bolts of the NEQ6 head at home that night.

I have the 21 & 10 and they are the ultimate EPS if you like 100*   they are solid and offer great quality views but are expensive.  If you don't like views that wide consider the delos which in my opinion are of the same quality with 72* exceptional for high power viewing.  All TV are worth it.

Wow , great response fella's thank you.Ethos seems to be the king of eyepieces, and Delos is suitable for eyeglass users, I found it very interesting that Explore Scientific's range of 100 Degree wide field are considered nearly as good (90%) for about half the price. Does any one own a selection of these who would like to give an opinion? Again thank you very much, clear skies everyone.

Naf,

It may well be worth your while starting another thread asking the question about the ExSc 100 as most people coming here will be Televue owners. I know a fellow Moderator had a 20mm ExSc and liked it alot but has now changed to a Televue 21mm, it must be for the extra one as all Ethos eyepieces go to eleven.

Alan

Hello,

I have added a 3.7mm to my Tele Vue Ethos set and I,'m seriously considering buying a 10mm Delos.

If you have one, could you tell me what your views of it are and if you have any problems with it?

Thanks

i had both,ethos and es ,also John had 20mm ES and changed over to Ethos only because he is a TV club member,i still have ES 20mm and intend to keep it as visually there will be no difference or very minimal what you will not notice.This is an old can of worms what has been opened many times over and no one has gone to the bottom of it as it always ends in tie.John also admitted that visually he hasnt been able to see any increase in performance,i can confirm exactly the same.As such,to cut it short:if you are a Televue fan and can afford they prices,go for Ethos,if you are not,then ES will provide you exactly the same views what Ethos does for far less money.It is your own decision to be made and it is your own money to be spent. 

....John had 20mm ES and changed over to Ethos only because he is a TV club member.....

Actually I switched because I want to support Tele Vue rather than ES who rather blatantly copied Tele Vue's innovative Ethos design without which I doubt there would be a 100 degree market for ES to cut a slice of.

ES have done an excellent job copying the Tele Vue design though.

I also don't like ES's policy on UK pricing of their products but that's another story :rolleyes2:

Hear hear John,

That is why I do not have any as well. I have of course owned lesser eyepieces but as you say it is nice to have a class leader in the case, even if I have gone a bit over the top. Totally agree with you as well even though it clear cannot affect me, the pricing policy as I see it is not fair.

Alan.

Hello,

I have added a 3.7mm to my Tele Vue Ethos set and I,'m seriously considering buying a 10mm Delos.

If you have one, could you tell me what your views of it are and if you have any problems with it?

Thanks

The 10mm delos is a very comfortable eyepiece to use, rendering very sharp with superb contrast views. I expect that it will complement my newly acquired Ethos 13mm, as far as switching from a mid power (space walk feel) ultra wide field to a higher power 72 degree field when observing / framing, for example, smaller planetary nebula and grasping detail in globulars etc. 

Anyhow here it is, 13mm Ethos, snugly fitted into the case, compare with the delos on the bottom right. 

post-22819-0-93299800-1408212368.jpg

on the 13th I sold the 13mm T6

That would be this little fella :grin:

I love the wide views of Ethos 13mm and it is fabulous on large clusters like M13. Price can never be ignored but if you can afford the Ethos range it is worth giving them a go as they hold their value on the second hand market so if you are not impressed enough to keep it all you will lose is the cost of the postage.

Ethos 13mm Michael. Whilst the Nagler T6 13mm was excellent, it was mainly used when I had a C8. It became underused with the VX14. However I like this focal length and (ironically) on the 13th I sold the 13mm T6 and bought a S/H 13mm Ethos (which is currently in post). I hope that I can keep to just this one, as I do enjoy my delos 10mm and current remaining nagler line up, as they provide their own particular viewing experience. I would like to feel that this one wide 100 degree field will satisfy that immersive aspect (I hope so!).

iain my advise is, before you put the ethos in the focuser put a bib on

Last night I went to a star party by my club (Los Angeles Astronomical Society - oldest and largest in the country - I am told). Great location to view (Lockwood valley in Frazier Park 5300 ft hight and very dark). Here we often view through each other's scopes and try out different EPs and filters. I met up with a guy who had a custom made 20" dob - a magnificent scope I have never seen before. He had a set of ES 100* as well as a 31 nagler.We compared his ES 20 vs my ethos 21. Outcome - he said I just cost him more $ - now trading in his ES set for ethos. There is a clear difference inquality of view and price. Way of the world.

That 20" was probably a very fast scope (they tend to be) and these separate the men from the boys. Even in my F/6 80mm the 24mm 68 deg MaxVision held up very well against a Nagler 22T4, but in Olly's 20" F/4.1 there was a clear difference in edge performance. MaxVision only claim they are corrected down to F/5, and even at F/4.1 it performed very nicely indeed. The Nagler was in a different class altogether, however.

G'day  Skynovice ,  As with most junkies it could prove to be a expensive habit, I see by your equipment list it already has. :grin: also thanks to you also Lardy. Clear skies. :smiley:

Naf if your budget can stretch to Ethos's you'll not be disappointed, excellent resale value as well (not that I would sell) .... I did a comparison with 3x ES 100's against 3 x Ethos's a while back, just prior to selling on the ES's. Surprised that the 9mm ES was that little better (a very small amount IMHO).

Thanks Lardy, so the other 2 Ethos won their comparison?

What scope do you intend to use the eyepieces in ?

I may have asked this before (apologies if I have and you have already replied !) but it could make a difference to your decision. As has been said earlier in the thread, the Ethos advantages, subtle though they are over the ES 100's, will be more pronounced in a fast Newtonian / dobsonian.

If my principle scope was an SCT I doubt I could justify the additional expense of an Ethos, despite being a fan of the range / brand.

Thanks John, Lardy.......   I have a Meade LX90 12" SC, Meade 5" APO. So I have a choice of 2, and a wide range optically. :smiley::grin::smiley:

Neither that challenging for eyepieces though so you may well not need to invest Ethos type money.

Archived