SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Storing Newtonian Telescope Help

Hello! I've just purchased a Newtonian telescope today and wondered if disassembling the main part from the mount is necessary after each use.

Is it okay to simply leave it on the tripod for show? It's a pain to take apart everything... and plus it looks nice to just leave it out there in my living room for everyone to see :)

Thanks!

It will be fine as long as you keep the dust out, you can use the cap supplied and maybe a cover like a plastic sheet or something.

Main two things to watch out for are dust and moisture. :)

CLEAR SKIES. 

Aenima

Yes, it will be fine (and look cool!) If you want to cover it to keep the dust out make sure you use something breathable (like a sheet) and not plastic as you need to allow any moisture to dry out.

Good point, its always a good idea to leave it somewhere warm and dry after use, esp if there is a lot of dew in the air. You want to avoid trapping any moisture so for a while after bring the scope in wait an hour before putting the cap on the scope so the moisture can freely evaporate. 

I have the Astromaster 130 Newtonian scope and my trusty towel.  When not in use, the scope is pointing gently downwards and covered with the towel.  To keep it neater, I use a length of Velcro to secure the towel in place so it's securely wrapped around the main tube.  It not only absorbs moisture, but keeps the dust out and protects the tube from minor scratches when I'm moving it outside.  I always try to take my scope out at least an hour before I want to use it so that it has a chance to cool/warm to the ambient temperature; still protected by its towel. 

If the sky clouds over, I put the towel back on the scope and point it downwards again to prevent moisture build up.  I also make sure it's the first thing back on the scope at the end of a viewing session.  So far, I've had no issues with misting, dew, dust or discolouration of the scope.

Mine is white sheeted ( recent addition, and needs cutting to shape) and  covered with a heavy  duty plastic see-thru cover. I read recently someone using a shower cap on the base of their telescope. Mine is covered since new, sits at the back end of a busy kitchen, and  a few particles of dust have  appeared on the mirror, so it does find its way in. Don't look down the tube with a torch to locate the dust, as the mirror will look larger than it really is and magnifies the dust, making you think its really worse than it really is. The mirrors can get quite dirty before they need cleaning attention, so prevention is the best method. Yours is tripod mounted so I'd say leave the scope horizontal or slightly lowered to keep dust of the mirror, but any loose dust could still fall to the mirror when placed upright? My Dobsonian just sits fully upright.

Silica gel packets never hurt for combatting moisture. You can 'recharge' them by putting them on a radiator or microwaving them.

The biggest danger of leaving it on show is it getting knocked over. If there are no kids around your probably ok though ;)

TSED70Q, iOptron Smart EQ pro, ASI-120MM, Finepix S5 pro.

I do not know your circumstances, but if you have a secure garden shed, or room in it :D it could be sheeted over and stored in there. This cures two problems, it does not clutter up the house, improving relations with your understanding wife :) and secondly you won`t have any cool down time when you want to come to use it :) 

glowjet's idea is sound if there's space left in your garden shed,  unlike mine! as it does reduce/erase the thermal cooling issues. One thing though, anything hollowed in my sheds are crawling with cobwebs. I would cover the end-caps with shower caps, they don't have to be pink and frilly, but just to seal the ends, especially around the mirror cell mount, otherwise, you going to get cobwebs inside.

glowjet's idea is sound if there's space left in your garden shed,  unlike mine! as it does reduce/erase the thermal cooling issues. One thing though, anything hollowed in my sheds are crawling with cobwebs. I would cover the end-caps with shower caps, they don't have to be pink and frilly, but just to seal the ends, especially around the mirror cell mount, otherwise, you going to get cobwebs inside.

Putting a rubber end on your equipment could mean everything gets a bit moist - I know that may sound vaguely rude or crude, but what I'm trying to say is that if you cap it off, dry it and add a desiccant.......... errrr....... give it a rubdown first and then put your gel sack in....... Silica gel that is....... I'm not doing very well here am I?

Last try:

If you've not erected your scope for some time you may find that you're a bit rusty....... oh [removed word]!!!........

With regard to fading paint, I can confirm that, after two years of standing duty in my POD (a white one, which lets through a lot of light), my bright yellow E-180 now has two very faint rings on it, visible when the tube rings are removed.  So even Takahashis fade in the sun.  ;-)

Archived