Herschel wedge users. Opinions please.

Hello.  Been quite happy using Baader solar film with my two Fracs to view the sun.  However I've come across this APM branded Solar wedge and am considering a purchase. Maybe a nice addition to my arsenal of gear ???

http://www.astroshop.eu/solar-prisms/apm-1-25-solar-prism-herschel-wedge/p,18916?utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=18916&utm_campaign=1408&utm_source=twenga-co-uk#tab_bar_0_select

First question is -  Will i see a noticable increase in quality by upgrading from the Baader solar film to this piece of kit.

Second.  This wedge seems to come without 2 filters which are mentioned with the blurb. Or you can pay more for a wedge with filters

• 1.25" ND 3.0 ( 1/1000) Filter
  • 1.25" Top-Pol Filter

Never heard of the Top-Pol filter TBH. I already have a Baader Neodynium filter.  Not sure if this can be used in the wedge.  Thought I read somewhere it could but I could quite easily have made this up ??   Presume the 2 filters needed could be bought seperately, probably from the good guys at FLO.

Any ideas, opinions, comments or quips greatly recieved.  Apologies Mods if this is posted in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance, as always     John

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello John,make sure you have that ND 3.0 in the wedge no matter what. The polarizer filter is needed too,if your not going to use a Badder Solar Continuum in conjunction with the ND 3.0.Check to make SURE the ND filter is in the wedge before use.Follow what APM and the instructions say.

My Baader wedge shows unbelievable detail on the sun,I love it.Safety first always on solar!

Top pol will be just a standard polarising filter screwed into the bottom of your ep (a zoom is better). I don't use one with mine but if you already have one give it a go.

Mine had a ND built in already, it looks like this one does as well.

I hope their English translation is wrong.

I would not use anything that allows 5% of the light from the sun to get to my eye, especially when the objective will be collecting a larger amount then the eye will.

Before that I would want a better explaiation of what is actually being transmitted through.

Morning all.   Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like the quality of the image is a serious step up from the Baader film.

The Lunt offering from FLO seems the best route given the comments.  Plus a polarizing filter.

Shane - appreciate the offer of a trip over to test but happy to look at taking the plunge now. 

Wise peoples replies, as above, and a bit more googling have made a choice for me.

Regards and clear skies   John

I have the APM and I reckon that the Lunt wedge is the APM rebranded. I fitted a ND3 into the wedge, bearing in mind that it fits into the bottom of the eyepiece tube, not the front tube that fits into the focuser.

As aside, a solar wedge can be used to advantage on Venus.

Morning all.   Thanks for the feedback.  Sounds like the quality of the image is a serious step up from the Baader film.

The Lunt offering from FLO seems the best route given the comments.  Plus a polarizing filter.

Shane - appreciate the offer of a trip over to test but happy to look at taking the plunge now. 

Wise peoples replies, as above, and a bit more googling have made a choice for me.

Regards and clear skies   John

I've had this wedge and the Baader one. They're both a step up, but I wouldn't say a serious step up. I'd never go back, but I don't think everyone would consider them worth the money.

If you're happy paying a premium for incremental benefits then go for it. If you have other claims on your wallet then it's a harder choice.

I bought the Lunt 1.23" wedge, complete with a Top-pol filter from APM before FLO stocked them. I have to say that it and the Baader Solar Contiuum filter I also bought, would probably be the last astro items I'd flog as the views are absolutely superb.

The Baader SC filter is particularly worthy, because it removes any issues with the CA of your scope. You could be as skint as skint Jack McSkint before payday, with only an ST80 to your name and get just as good a view as you were getting with an £800 Apo, that you had to sell because you were skint!

Early on a summer morning before the heat of the day has got into the air, the structure of sunspots and the surface granularity never gets old. :)

Russell

It must just be me then, but I was underwhelmed by the wedge and polarizing filter. To me the difference in image quality no way made the then, £185 + filter in any way worth it. I was going to sell it and go back to using baader film, but then FLO started the current pricing on Lunts, so I am stuck with it or else take a huge hit.

It must just be me then, but I was underwhelmed by the wedge and polarizing filter. To me the difference in image quality no way made the then, £185 + filter in any way worth it. I was going to sell it and go back to using baader film, but then FLO started the current pricing on Lunts, so I am stuck with it or else take a huge hit.

Strange, I love mine. What scope did you use it in?

I'm not as keen on the views with the polarizing filter, but with the continuum fitted, views are spectacular in my book.

I have the Lunt with ND and Polarising filter and its the best thing since sliced bread.

Nicer, crisper detail than the solar film I used to use, especially shows granulation and faculae well. I got the 1.25" so am able to use it in any of my refractors. The ND filter is a must and the polarising filter really helps adjusting the brightness of the view by just rotating the eyepiece / camera.

My Lunt wedge for me is THE most impressive investment I have made in a while.

I had poor experiences with the Baader SC filter in the past so I went with the #58 filter, revelation polarizer filter and ortho eyepiece. I have found there is a sweet spot between rotating the eyepiece/ polarizer and focusing that really exposes the details on the surface. Granulation is easily noticeable which was a challenge using Baader solar film. The highlight for me is that I am seeing visually the same amount of detail as is in some of the full disc white light images posted on sgl. Usually the camera sees more than the eye yet this doesn't apply to the sun in this case.

At the price FLO is offering them at the moment they are a worthwhile investment and IMHO far safer alternative to solar film with the risks of a strong wind detaching the filter or pin holes in the film getting missed. Plus you don't have to mess making filter cells for different sized refractors.

For me a Herschel wedge and solar continuum are good bang for buck. The detail I can see with them is ridiculously good. It's been a while since I used solar film and I didn't have a solar continuum filter then, so I can't compare. As above, being able to use it with different scopes is handy. I used it in my little 60mm scope on hols. For a visual session I tend to use my 100mm scope, and for imaging, I like my 120mm scope best for the extra resolution.

Maybe the continuum is the final ingredient to show it's potential?? Though I am very wary of chucking yet more cash at the wedge.

I am using it in an 80mm f15, so I was hoping to be wowed. It is not that the views are bad, just the step up from the film is very small to my eyes.

Maybe the continuum is the final ingredient to show it's potential?? Though I am very wary of chucking yet more cash at the wedge.

I am using it in an 80mm f15, so I was hoping to be wowed. It is not that the views are bad, just the step up from the film is very small to my eyes.

Should be pretty good it that scope I would expect. What sort of detail levels are you getting vs the images or sketches on here?

I'm worried now. Well sort of. I already get the sort of detail mentioned with my 6" newts and film but hoped the 80mm f11 and wedge would provide better views. We'll hopefully see if my wedge ever turns up. Currently stuck in German customs apparently.

I'm worried now. Well sort of. I already get the sort of detail mentioned with my 6" newts and film but hoped the 80mm f11 and wedge would provide better views. We'll hopefully see if my wedge ever turns up. Currently stuck in German customs apparently.

I really hope you enjoy the views with it Shane. It's so difficult to tell until you've tried it yourself.

Of course, 6" should in theory have better resolution, but during the day you have tube currents to deal with and it seems that 80 to 100mm is ideal in terms of cutting through the poorer seeing which often happens during the day.

Most people seem to believe that the views through a wedge are a step up from film. I'm one of those, certainly, but we all see things differently!

One practical benefit of the 80/wedge is that it will sit side by side with your Lunt, with eyepieces roughly in the same position and orientation making Ha/white light comparison views much more convenient.

Of course, the 80 is far more portable too so you have grab and go day and night scopes in one.

Anyway, fingers crossed the HW gets released soon and that you enjoy the views.

Cheers,

Stu

When I used the film I was always paranoid about damaging it and it being blown off by the wind etc (even when taped on) . With a wedge you are 100% sure that its safe in any conditions, this is essential at outreach events.

I still use the film on scopes without a 2" focuser when I need to, but given the choice I would always go for the HW as the views through a wedge are noticeably better (at high mags).

As I bought mine second hand it was also less of a hit in the pocket ;-)

Archived