Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Christopher Davenport

AstroImaging Virtual Machine

Hello,

So I thought I would share some screen shots of my XP SP3 Virtual Machine that I have setup for Astro Imaging.

The nice thing about putting all the software into a Virtual Machine is that I can move it about between different laptops.

VMware also allows you to remotely connect and disconnect USB sockets, which is hand when you want to restart a usb camera.

Lastly I can put the VM to sleep and start it up so as to keep everything as is.

Some screen shots of the different aspects of the VM with a custom red theme.

EQMOD, Astro Tortilla, PHD2

post-32740-0-41823900-1407918932_thumb.j

EQMOD, Stellarium (Stellarium Scope to control EQMOD)

post-32740-0-26429000-1407918980_thumb.j

EQMOD, APT (Focus aid and other tools)

post-32740-0-59393300-1407919077_thumb.j

Hope you take some inspiration :)

Virtualization is great! I run 31 servers distributed over three physical hosts and it just works.

One advantage of a virtual machine for astro use is that you can replicate it, snapshot it and run it on Unix, Linux, MacOSX, Windows and perhaps IBM/3090 ;)

What did you use to virtualize?

/p

Vmware, which I have installed on a couple of different machines.

How do you find the USB pass-through performance?

I use VirtualBox and give my VMs 1 CPU from my quad-processor box. I find that webcam frame rates aren't great and that the connections aren't all that reliable.

Maybe I should switch to VMWare?

• Like 1

How do you find the USB pass-through performance?

I use VirtualBox and give my VMs 1 CPU from my quad-processor box. I find that webcam frame rates aren't great and that the connections aren't all that reliable.

Maybe I should switch to VMWare?

I did use VirtualBox once for a Win8 test, just because VMware did not support Win8 at the time, but I do remember it feeling a bit clunky.

I just put it down to Win8 at the time. :)

I tend to give my VM 2 Cores and 4gb memory (from 8gb), my USB pass through is almost as fast as the host.

In terms of real life performance, my planetary cam can reach 200FPS on the host, using a Ramdrive to land the frames into memory. (reduce the HD bottleneck.)

With the same configuration on the VM I top out at about 160FPS. This could be USB pass through or the difference in the drivers for XP vs Win7.

I have never actually tested the data rates from a external HD as it has always been good enough.

I use VMware and never found an issue with the USB transfer speeds.

Tricky to test accurately as unless the host OS is the same as the virtual OS they will use different drivers for any device you plug in.

I like that you can also clone a real machine to run it virtually, although the copy protection in newer versions of windows can be a pain when you do this. But they only seem to kick in if you actually shut it down.

VMWare really holds the key to all virtualization tasks. VirtualBox is fine for simple tests but it comes nowhere near VMWare. For the Mac, many use Parallels Desktop, a product that is good but again nowhere near VMWare. I'd say it falls between VMWare and VirtualBox. VMWare Workstation for Windows and VMWare Fusion for Mac are both pay products while VirtualBox is free.

In reply to the question; yes, the 31 VM setup is for work and personal pleasure and contains no astro stuff. It is kind of cool, though, with three hosts and shared storage it can bounce machines between hosts in a few seconds, interrupting neither the VM itself nor its network traffic. I can even move the firewall VM back and forth and still not lose the connection to the management of the whole system from home. Fantastic stuff! Interestingly enough, a Windows Server (or any other operating system) actually runs slightly faster in a VM than on the metal, and running it virtualized also has the advantage of not exposing the operating system to any real hardware - which in turn is beneficial to stability!

For that kind of virtualization, the host systems contain no operating system at all, which is the biggest difference to the desktop products Fusion and Workstation. Instead, the Hypervisor runs on bare metal. If the Hypervisor needs upgrading, I just migrate all the VMs to the two other hosts and reboot it as required with no interruption to operations. When it is up again, just migrate the VMs back to it and continue with the next.

Sorry for the off-topic part ;)

Anyway, USB performance in VMWare Workstation and VMWare Fusion should be just about the same as running it on the underlying operating system, but with a slight propagation delay that in turn decreases performance slightly due to the handshake procedures of USB. Nothing to worry about.

Ah! Nothing like a morning rant to start the day!

All the best,

Per 

• Like 2

Your underlying hardware must have plenty of horsepower to handle so many VMS.

I remember some years back getting our hardware folk to setup a rack with four blades, each blade was 16cpu 32gb, we then virtualized a set of 16 load balanced servers across these. (4x4 in each VM.)

This was for a finance application which needed to be up 24x7, so we had multiple sets of redundancy in case web servers fell over. Routing to each web server was via the firewall.

On these we built dev test preprod and prod.

No mind the rant, made me smile.

For the mac there's Parallels, vmware and virtual box.

Parallels is the most user friendly (but you pay lots for each release.. which seem to be required for each OSX version), vmware is more powerful but needs some tech understanding (not free) and virtual box is free but has some flaws (although works - it's Oracle owned). Virtualbox had a bug that meant if you were using USB you could only use one CPU core.. good bit of programming there...

For all three you'll need a Windows install for an ASCOM based system - IIRC the windows licensing is a pain.. all three above have caused problems as the key used for licensing (the view of the 'hardware') changes causing windows to request re-registering..

I have both Home XP 32bit and Premium 64bit (both legit) and both are a right royal pain whining about things when virtualbox updates. I have this on the mac mini..

The same software can be used for INDI's own pre-canned linux VM astro 'box'. 

All of the above really require a minimum of 4GB on the host machine or preferably 8GB to run smoothly - as I use Pixinsight with large astro images etc I have 16GB installed.

Your underlying hardware must have plenty of horsepower to handle so many VMS.

I remember some years back getting our hardware folk to setup a rack with four blades, each blade was 16cpu 32gb, we then virtualized a set of 16 load balanced servers across these. (4x4 in each VM.)

This was for a finance application which needed to be up 24x7, so we had multiple sets of redundancy in case web servers fell over. Routing to each web server was via the firewall.

On these we built dev test preprod and prod.

No mind the rant, made me smile.

Nah, not much. One ML350G5, eight cores, 32GB. Two DL360G5, eight cores each, one 32GB, one 40GB. There's plenty of power left.

/per

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bottletopburly
      Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .
    • By alexwolf
      The second bugfix release for series 0.19.
      Thank you very much to community for bug reports, feature requests and contributions!
      Full list of changes between versions 0.19.1 and 0.19.2:
      - Added support DMS and DD formats for parallactic angle feature
      - Added altitude limitation filter for AstroCalc/Graphs[AltVsTime/ME] tools
      - Added visual improvements for AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added new time intervals for AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added computation of ephemeris for all naked-eye visible planets into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added GUI for select the color of ephemeris markers into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool
      - Added 2 new scripts (Saturnian and uranian analemmas)
      - Added 'k Pup' designation to star HIP 37229 (GH: #706)
      - Added information about progress of loading on splash screen (GH: #719)
      - Added a new skylore for Stellarium: Anutan
      - Added support catalog "Southern Stars embedded in nebulosity" (Van den Bergh and Herbst, 1975 - VdBH)
      - Added support "Catalogue and distances of optically visible H II regions" (Dickel+, 1969 - DWB)
      - Added distances for few LDN objects
      - Added support removing shortcuts through config.ini file (GH: #724)
      - Added extraInfoString to StelObject: Allows extra info injected by plugins or scripts.
      - Added display of Apex/Antapex points (GH: #737)
      - Added "observers" for all planets with moons (GH: #736)
      - Added IAU constellation abbreviation to object info
      - Added 3 new actions
      - Added settings for Script Console (GH: #741)
      - Added Vanuatu (Netwar) skyculture (GH: #762)
      - Added few asterisms (GH: #753, #768)
      - Added new one time step into AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #758)
      - Added few new DSO textures (GH: #756, #780)
      - Added support Vec3d into scripting engine
      - Added a Messier Marathon script (GH: #771)
      - Added support for short weekday display modes in bottom toolbar
      - Added GUI option to toggle permanent orbit drawing
      - Added hyperbolic comet C/2019 Q4 (Borisov) [2I/Borisov] into default ssystem_minor.ini file
      - Added a scripting function for refraction (GH: #778)
      - Fixed coloring text issue when formatting output is on
      - Fixed saving properties for external software/remote computer in Telescope Control plugin (GH: #702)
      - Fixed behaviour of selected ephemeris marker when sorting not for date (AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool)
      - Fixed sorting date and time columns for AstroCalc/Ephemeris and AstroCalc/Phenomena tools
      - Fixed crash on destruction of static QWidget (GH: #720)
      - Fixed small difference of values issue for different time zones for Date and Time column in AstroCalc/Ephemeris tool (GH: #717)
      - Fixed stupid conversion bug in hmsToRad function (GH: #716)
      - Fixed an asymmetry w.r.t. to the ecliptic latitudes (Moon age)
      - Fixed Search Tool/Lists behaviour for VdBH catalog
      - Fixed distances for few DSO (GH: #708)
      - Fixed Gregorian date issue for AstroCalc (GH: #711)
      - Fixed support GPS on macOS (GH: #712)
      - Fixed coefficient for the duration of mean tropical year
      - Fixed issue for images in description for landscapes: set search directory (GH: #735)
      - Fixed tooltip behaviour for Date and Time dialog
      - Fixed star name to its source spelling (GH: #729)
      - Fixed compiling with GPSD 3.19 [API 8.0] (GH: #733)
      - Fixed encoding script files in Script Console (GH: #742)
      - Fixed drawing names of asterisms
      - Fixed aFOV display in Oculars plugin
      - Fixed visual issue in Script Console (white background) with Qt 5.13
      - Fixed links for scripting docs (SUG)
      - Fixed screen flashing during solar eclipse (GH: #747)
      - Fixed core.resetOutput(); method behaviour (GH: #750)
      - Fixed AltGr behaviour for some languages on Windows
      - Fixed clipping issue for LabelMgr.labelObject (GH: #776)
      - Fixed weekday computation
      - Fixed rendering planets orbits (GH: #773)
      - Fixed error in shape of asterism Red-Necked Emu (GH: #769)
      - Fixed proper removing of default secondary shortcut (GH: #764)
      - Fixed cross-id error in DSO catalog
      - Updated appdata.xml file
      - Updated outdated code for names of days and months
      - Updated Observability plugin
      - Updated list of proper names of stars (IAU approved list)
      - Updated Moon age calculation: let's use geocentric coordinates only for compute of the Moon age
      - Updated AstroCalc/PC tool: simplification and colorification for graphs
      - Updated AstroCalc/Phenomena tool: small speed-up
      - Updated the default color space: StelToneReproducer now use sRGB as target RGB color space (GH: #718)
      - Updated GUI for Satellites plugin
      - Updated common names for DSO
      - Updated common names for stars
      - Updated packaging for macOS: Let's use macdeployqt for creating a MacOS bundles
      - Updated nomenclature support: Let's use compressed nomenclature data to reduce an installation package
      - Updated translations
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated Sardinian skyculture
      - Updated file handling in Script Console
      - Updated HDPI features: enabled scaling fonts on High DPI monitors (GH: #546)
      - Updated default shortcuts: changed default shortcut for copying selected object information (Ctrl+C -> Ctrl+Shift+C) to allow use Ctrl+C shortcut for text edit fields for whole planetarium (GH: #748)
      - Updated getInfoMap method [scripting engine]: enhanced the getInfoMap method for the Sun (get eclipse data; GH: #747)
      - Updated Chinese (Simplified) and Russian translations for Windows installer (GH: #755, #779)
      - Updated Bookmarks tool
      - Updated default exoplanets and pulsars catalogs
      - Updated behaviour on Windows: disable HiDPI scaling in manifest (GH: #763)
      - Updated Oculars plugin: improve RA/Dec output for CCD frame
      - Code refactoring: type checking/casting clarifications
      - Removed FOV plugin (the feature was moved into core of planetarium)
      Homepage + links to downloading binary packages: https://stellarium.org
    • By dragorom7
      Hello, i am new to this forum, i made my account here because i need help.
      So few weeks ago i ordered a USB to Serial cable to be able to Control my Telescope with my computer using stellarium.
      It arrived today.
      So i made my Star Alignment, then i plugged the cable to my Telescope and Computer, i installed the Cable driver and ASCOM Platform + ASCOM Celestron Driver.
      I started DriverConnect.exe and put the Celestron Driver i downloaded, and did the properties informations ( had to tick on "Advanced Setup" and "Show All COM Ports" ) and i put "COM8" on "COM Port", then i pressed "OK" and then "Connect"
      Result:
      Create              Creating device
      Connected           Connecting to device
      Error               System.Exception: Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected
         to System.Dynamic.ComRuntimeHelpers.CheckThrowException(Int32 hresult, ExcepInfo& excepInfo, UInt32 argErr, String message)
         to CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , ComObject , Boolean )
         to ASCOM.DriverConnect.ConnectForm.btnConnect_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\ASCOM Build\Export\ASCOM.DriverConnect\ConnectForm.cs:line 268
      Dispose             Disposing of device
      ReleaseComObject    Releasing COM instance
      ReleaseComObject    Completed release. Count: 0
      GC Collect          Starting garbage collection
      GC Collect          Completed garbage collection

"Connect to COM1 failed, no Celestron scope detected"

In Stellarium i set-up everything, the plug-in and restarted the app, then added my telescope  and i says it's "connected" but i can't find my telescope.

Telescope:
      Celestron NexStar 127SLT
      The Cable i bought:
      https://www.amazon.com/Telescope-CP2102-Adapter-Control-Console/dp/B077G37VL1/
      PC Specs:
      Windows 10 Pro, GTX 970, 8GB Ram(DDR4), i7 6700 3.4Ghz

Looking forward for your help, thanks in advance,
      dragorom7.
    • By KevS
      This evening/morning I am having some problems getting my unmodified canon 600d to live view via apt. One hell of a palaver trying to get focused. Has any one suffered similar problems? Was working fine yesterday, tonight a bit of a disaster all round. I am running the feed for the guide camera down the same USB cable via a non powered hub, the camera works fine during the data gathering phase but no dam preview. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      K
    • By PlanetGazer
      So I'm referring to the main astro-softwares that you use during your sessions on your phone or tablet, and found that most of people use mainly those two softwares on their phones. Laptop versions of the software are different products and are not the focus of this topic.
      So which do you use and why?

My experience:
      I personally have Stellarium plus, and the free version of SkySafarai, so I have an understanding of how the user-interface of both works, I have been researching the extra features in the SkySafari Pro, and have figured the following so far (please correct me if I'm wrong):
      * I'm aware that both let you control your GoTo telescopes
      * I personally find current version of Stellarium to be more user friendly and easier to navigate the sky manually , could be the configured settings though
      * SkySafari has more options to the search bar, e.g. "Tonight's Best" based on your location, also a menu of Messier catalog with a highlight of those currently visible at your time and location, others like best deep sky objects
      * SkySafari has this wonderful feature of creating an observing list, very helpful to plan your session and share and download with/from others
      * Stellarium Plus has a database of around 1.69 billion stars,while SkySafari 6 Pro has around 100 milion starts (don't think it's important as most of them aren't visible in amateur telescopes, I think I read somewhere that only 25 million stars are possible to observe with our telescopes, up to 15th mag, wonder if any of you have tried to push this limit)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.