Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

attaching focuser

Hi,

is it possible to attach a focuser from a 200p onto a 130p if willing to drill holes in the ota, or is it not suited?

Bungielad.

If you are into DIY then a focuser transplant is on.   Best to remove the mirrors if poss or at the very least protect them.

The focuser will need to put the eyepiece the same distance from the tube to enable correct focus, but of course lots of latitude for that with the focuser drawtube.

Good luck, Ed.

Yes you can do this, to my knowledge you can  get a base plate to fit the 200p onto the smaller 130p with out doing any drilling.

Yes you can do this, to my knowledge you can  get a base plate to fit the 200p onto the smaller 130p with out doing any drilling.

where would I pick one of them up from?

Bungielad

where would I pick one of them up from?

Bungielad

Instead of a base plate, you could use two strips of packing material, either side of the focuser, lengthwise along the tube.  Doesn't really matter if the focuser contacts the tube contours exactly, as long as it's not tilted relative to the tube.

Or you could use several washers between the focuser and tube at each attachment bolt to achieve the same result.

Not so cosmetically correct, but will work just as well.

Regards, Ed.

I looked at the options for an adapter when I fitted a new focuser designed for an 8" OTA on my 6" 'scope but thought they were too expensive, so I went the route of using a plastic packing strip of 2mm thickness on either side between the focuser and the tube.  I also inserted a ring of closed-cell foam between the focuser base and tube to prevent any light ingress (see photo)

13673789904_6a9349046e_c.jpgTelescope-7 by S.J.P, on Flickr

I used a couple of black poundland mouse mats stacked to make up the difference. Worked a treat. If drilling into your tube, point the opening down and get someone to hold a hoover where you are drilling to suck up any stray bits.

cheers

Chris

I wouldn't bother unless you are DIY savvy. My bet would be if you only have a 1.25" R&P focuser on the 130P at the moment your going to have to cut a larger hole in the side of the OTA for 1

Very valid point! Widening your focuser hole isn't for the fainthearted, you can't use a hole-saw as there's already a hole there and a conesaw of a suitable size is difficult to come by and you aren't guaranteed a centralised hole. After contemplating a jigsaw, I finally went for a nibbler as the swarf it generates is larger and easier to catch than the dust from a cutting blade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived