Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

RickK

What is the best paid version software?

I've go a old paid version of Starry Night ( was org. Digital Download then changed to Back Yard) and looking for something current. I've got some of the free software and don't mind buying but I looked and there are no trail versions on the Starry Night Pro Plus and I don't want to buy and not like. 

Rick - I bought Starry Night Pro 5 which is OK and it still gets updated for comets etc. However, I now tend to use Stellarium which is free for the main computer and only cost under £2 for the APP on my tablet.

• Like 1

Starry Night Pro 6 is good and I use it all the time, but I made the mistake of 'upgrading' to Version 7 which is garbage.

ChrisH

• Like 2

Can you tell us more about what you'd use SNPro Plus for? is it just as a planetarium program, or would you want to use the planners + remote control features?

There is plenty of commercial astronomy software available. Though personally, I'd favour products that had a trial version just so I could check that the software works on my computer and that it will do what it says, so far as interfacing with other devices. And that it's easy to learn and use.

Since SNPro doesn't have a trial version, I'd never consider it.

• Like 1

Can you tell us more about what you'd use SNPro Plus for? is it just as a planetarium program, or would you want to use the planners + remote control features?

There is plenty of commercial astronomy software available. Though personally, I'd favour products that had a trial version just so I could check that the software works on my computer and that it will do what it says, so far as interfacing with other devices. And that it's easy to learn and use.

Since SNPro doesn't have a trial version, I'd never consider it.

Personally, I use it for framing because you can download the DSS images off the 'net and view the real object you're imaging rather than a simple green outline of the object. Then I use it to create an 'Observing list' and export it to SGPro (Sequence Generator Pro) which is my CCD control software. All the other functions of a planetarium program are there too of course. Unfortunately Version 7 _still_ won't export an observing list correctly despite numerous reports of this bug to the authors and a couple of updates being released (one today in fact). I really should not have bothered upgrading.

ChrisH

• Like 1

I'm not sure if I like SNP after looking at the screenshots, and don't know if all the whistles and bells are worth it. I tend to play with the software and sometime buy more than I really need. I guess really all I need it the planner and be able to locate objects. My old digital download / upgraded BY don't seem to work well, it now crashes after updating objects.

Have you tried the free Cartes du Ciel and Stellarium? Both can also work with ASCOM for goto. 

• Like 1

I recommend SkySafari for Android  (and iOS?) tablets and mobile devices.

Is very accurate and has scope control. It's extended info for many objects is very informative. Also shows satellite passes and time tables.

The Pro version cost about £15 or £20 I think. I got it while it was on offer though.

Part of it's beauty is that it's designed for mobile devices so isn't cluttered with gimmicks that would grind a Windoze PC to a halt. 

I'd go so far as to say it's even worth buying an Android device just to get access to SkySafari. I like it that much and I've tried many of the big name packages over the years.

• Like 1

I'll check out the mobile app out, I did find Star Chart that looks good for Android. But I like the Windows programs for the laptop. I have both a Samsung galaxy s4 and a Samsung galaxy tab, now that I think about it the tab would be good for in the field.

I do not know what salary my software is paid :icon_scratch:

Sorry, couldn't resist ;)

I could have said the same thing ;) Hard to resist and no malicious intent.

/per

Edited by perfrej
  • Like 1

I could have said the same thing ;) Hard to resist and no malicious intent.

/per

Ha ha, I should have started it as "Paid for" ..   One think I'm not happy with Starry Night, I found I can run it in Win XP mode, after I found out its only supported through XP but they should have provided a update to have it work on later versions of Windows.

After contacting SN about my older version not working with Win 8.1 and not happy that SN did not update my Digital download / SNB to work I ask SN for a updated software ( you never know until you ask) and SN replied: "You paid for the licence for the version which is a permanent licence but that software is only supported through Win XP. We will give you a discount to upgrade your software."  I now found that it runs in XP mode but I don't plan to buy it again. I have started liking Stellarium since I started using it, alone with the Android apps.

I recommend SkySafari for Android  (and iOS?) tablets and mobile devices.

Is very accurate and has scope control. It's extended info for many objects is very informative. Also shows satellite passes and time tables.

I'd second this, I use it all the time on my phone and tablet.

I've even built a bluetooth interface for my LX200 so I can control it using SkySafari

• Like 2