Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Moon Tonight

Seme

14% bigger and 30% brighter than other full moons of the year. Not great for viewing the Perseids tonight though....

It's not as dramatic as that from the figures I've seen off SkySafari, but does look nice and bright tonight

Caught me by surprise this evening, as I went around the chicken houses shutting the chickens in for the night.  I first saw it out of the corner of my eye and turned to see it low in the sky, beautifully framed by two trees in a gap no wider than twice its own diameter.  Yes, I'm sure most of us get frustrated by its presence when we're interested in looking for something else, but there are times when it is absolutely jaw-droppingly stunning.

James

It's not as dramatic as that from the figures I've seen off SkySafari, but does look nice and bright tonight

I was quoting several on-line media articles that all mentioned the 14%/30% comparison although i think they were comparing last nights apparent size to the apparent size of the 'smallest' moon when it is at its most distant. Clearly it is always the same size in real terms though!

I was quoting several on-line media articles that all mentioned the 14%/30% comparison although i think they were comparing last nights apparent size to the apparent size of the 'smallest' moon when it is at its most distant. Clearly it is always the same size in real terms though!

Yes, I think it is a case of media hype sadly. I must say I've never liked the expression 'super moon' but maybe I'm just an old grump :-)

The stats were most likely between smallest/dimmest and largest/brightest of the year, but that doesn't sound as exciting ;-)

Here are stats and images from SkySafari comparing this moon with Jan full moon.

anapy4em.jpg

mesade6a.jpg

quqy5aty.jpg

susyrymy.jpg

Still quite a big difference, and it did look stunning last night.

Stu

Yes, I think it is a case of media hype sadly. I must say I've never liked the expression 'super moon' but maybe I'm just an old grump :-)

The stats were most likely between smallest/dimmest and largest/brightest of the year, but that doesn't sound as exciting ;-)

Here are stats and images from SkySafari comparing this moon with Jan full moon.

anapy4em.jpg

mesade6a.jpg

quqy5aty.jpg

susyrymy.jpg

Still quite a big difference, and it did look stunning last night.

Stu

Thanks for sharing Stu.

I did read one report which described the Super Moon (aka a little bit Closer Moon) as a 16" Pizza compared to a 15" Pizza, which I guess highlights what can happen when the media get their hands on stories like this!

Unfortunately the article didn't say what the toppings were or the type of base being used....

James

Archived