Narrowband

Anyone caught a glimpse of Neptune this year?

gitchnz

Well done :smiley:

Neptune would be a challenge with 50mm binoculars I reckon.

Uranus should be easier but the Moon does take it's toll if it's nearby.

With 25x70s it was pretty easy to see, once I knew where to look. It's in such a barren area that you need a finder chart that goes down to about mag 9, there was nothing visible to the naked eye between the steering wheel and Fomalhaut last night. In something like 10x50s it would be more of a challenge, I think they would show it at least on a moonless night.

Uranus was quite close to the Moon so didn't actually seem that bright (though it was again easy to find, once I got a decent chart).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I know about visual observing could be written on the back of an envelope.

That said, I had the chance to view both Neptune and Uranus a couple of weeks back at Kelling Heath.

It was probably made a bit easier with the 24" dobsonian though :)

What I know about visual observing could be written on the back of an envelope.

That said, I had the chance to view both Neptune and Uranus a couple of weeks back at Kelling Heath.

It was probably made a bit easier with the 24" dobsonian though :)

Cool. Did you catch the moons?

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Following the strong winds yesterday, our sky over East Yorkshire was really clear and despite Hull's light pollution to the south, I had a crack at both Uranus and Neptune.  Uranus was pretty easy as it turned out (the higher elevation away from the worst of the light pollution helped) but I'd not seen Neptune before.  I star hopped and I think I found it.  Not as bright as Uranus of course but definitely saw the disc of a planet.  What struck me was the lack of much colour (I use a Skywatcher 200P). I did detect a faint pale blue hue but not the deeper blue I'd been expecting.  Is this normal for a view through the average small telescope?

The depth of colour changes from night to night depending on atmospheric conditions.

Paul

It was lowish in the sky into the light pollution but I will be revisiting it.  It was a thrill just to get my first view of this ice giant!

I had the 12 inch on both Uranus and Neptune 4 nights back as I seem to do about a couple of times a year but even with a fairly large X304 magnification both are very small though I could see unquestionable colour in both cases. I don't think either of these would look much even with a very big scope but I must try for the moons next time.

Alan.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived