Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Astro shots.

Hi all...been too long since I last posted (been a busy guy), but I did some Astro photography the other night using my Nikon D3100 with Tamron 18 - 200mm, f3.5 ISO 1600 30". All comments/criticism/help greatly appreciated...the location is Grove Rake mine just to the West of Rookhope.

Nice work! I think you could wait till it's a bit darker and possibly use a bit higher iso and a shorter exposure. Say under 30 seconds to capture more stars and get less trailing. Or you could go full ahead with the trailing and take some timed shots say 2 hours worth of 2-3 minute exposures and stack em for some nice star trails work. StarStax is great for that. Keep at it and Look up!

Hi Leveye, unfortunately for most of the time we were on location the moon was behind us being a complete pain...! I can't really go any higher on the ISO without introducing a lot of noise, I'm only using an entry level DSLR and high ISO shots aren't it's strong point, but I will try to see what comes of it. Thank for the advice much appreciated

Liking what I see here. Reminds me of my first tries before getting a telescope. The color balance is nice. Framing is good by keeping the horizon for context. I would suggest shooting in raw (nef) if you're not already doing so and using a raw converter of your choice (Photoshop for me) You should be able to fine tune the balance between the darkness of the sky and light pollution that way.

I tend to keep my exposures under 20sec and bumping the iso somewhat.

Kudos for the ISS. I doesnt go very high here in the north.

Hi all...been too long since I last posted (been a busy guy), but I did some Astro photography the other night using my Nikon D3100 with Tamron 18 - 200mm, f3.5 ISO 1600 30". All comments/criticism/help greatly appreciated...the location is Grove Rake mine just to the West of Rookhope.

Love the ISS pass shot! I wanna try that!

Archived