Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Darkest Exmoor observing sites?

Mike73

I'm looking to make a trip up to Exmoor later in the month, I've never observed from there before so could do with being pointed in the right direction to some decent observing sites.

I've found a few possibilities on this site but just wondered if anyone knows any others or even better has some SQM readings for Exmoor?

http://www.exmoorstargazers.co.uk

Cheers

Mike

There are occasional star parties held at Wimbleball Lake/Reservoir (first on the Exmoor Stargazers list) Mike, so I assume conditions should be fairly good there.  I don't know what access is like if you just turn up though.

James

Actually, looking at the Streetmap view, Anstey Gate looks rather promising, and has the advantage over Wimbleball of Tiverton being further to the east rather than directly south.

James

Actually, looking at the Streetmap view, Anstey Gate looks rather promising, and has the advantage over Wimbleball of Tiverton being further to the east rather than directly south.

James

Its really hard to guess what its like when you haven't been there, my home dark sites are on farmland (with permission) so I don't usually have this problem...

My gut instinct tells me that the Brendan Two gates site looks the darkest but with Barnstable to the SW I'm not sure how much of a problem the light dome could be? Anstey Gate looks like it will probably have better horizons but maybe not as dark??

Thanks for the suggestions though James. :) 

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.  Living within a couple of miles of the edge of Exmoor to start with, it's a struggle to find a compelling reason to load up the car and go there :)

James

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.  Living within a couple of miles of the edge of Exmoor to start with, it's a struggle to find a compelling reason to load up the car and go there :)

James

Not a problem. :)

If second home prices hadn't pushed prices in the countryside up I would be out of town aswell, just another few more years of mortgage paying then I'm outta here and getting a big dob, thats my goal and I'm sticking to it!

Archived