Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Beta Lyr project

Hi Folks,

Been quite a while so thought I post up some Beta Lyrae (Shelyak) spectra when I managed to take advantage of  several clear nights in succession at the end of July.

There is too much data to show, so here's an animation showing Hydrogen Alpha and Helium (6678 A) over 10 nights spanning 2 weeks.

BetaLyrHaHe.gif

The next images show an analysis of the Si line to measure radial velocity, (Shelyak is a binary system). The image strips show the Si lines moving relative to the static telluric water line at 6516.

BetaLyr_Si_strips.png

Finally here is the chart of radial velocity over time. (Heliocentric correction has not been applied).

RadVelChart.png

Thanks for looking

John

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that. It's getting there but I'm sure there could be more scrutiny applied. The first velocity values are not fitting the variation I expected.

My R values were a bit hit and miss (somewhere between 1500 and 2200) due to the use of an adjustable slit and an ,'expedient rather than optimal', spectroscope design using Wikes 65mm guttering :grin: .  There were times when reflective guiding would have helped.

Definitely worth a go, I expect you should see something varying at Alpy resolution (R=600+?). You'd cover the whole visible spectrum too with more repeatable results.

thanks

John

Archived