Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New observatory and club near High Easter, Essex

adamclang

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grounds are a bit unclear at the moment, they've published a decision notice which is a rough outline the decision, so in this case:

1. The development is in countryside and would therefore represents 'significant environmental harm'; Not sure how this has been balanced with the need for local housing and community facilities.
  2. A significant amount travel by private car would be needed; They should have really asked for a travel plan if this were the case so that's a poor show on their part.
  3. Grade 2 Agricultural land would be removed from that use; I'm looking into having some soil tests done to show that the land is poorer quality - anyone know about Agricultural Land Classification Surveys?

No mention of the observatory, but an 'Officers Report' is published shortly after the decision which usually provides more detail and may mention it. I expect they've not really taken it into account, so anything (such as a petition) which shows that they'd be local demand for the observatory would be helpful at appeal.

The documents are here:

http://publicaccess.uttlesford.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=N9CXDRQNLR800

Any help appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

After a putting a bit more thought and work into this project I'm about ready to submit an appeal to the Planning Inspectorate. So watch this space for more news (probably in early Feburary) when i'll post the details and anyone interested in the project can comment formally. Hopefully there'll be a new observatory in Essex this year.

Happy New Year,

Adam

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

A bit later than expected, but I've now submitted the appeal, and its been validated so I filled in the form right.

If anyone would like to comment on it the reference number is APP/C1570/W/15/3005829, and the documents can be found here. Comments can be submitted at the following url:

https://acp.planningportal.gov.uk/ViewCase.aspx?caseid=3005829 (registration required) or via email to teamp1@pins.gsi.gov.uk. The deadline is 12 May.

• 1 month later...

Hi Steve,

Not really. The public consultation has finished. I had some positive comment from a neighbour whose children are interested in astronomy. That should help. And there was a local appeal recently which looked positively on self build housing and overturned some of the same local policies that I'm up against, so that's promising also. We'll see, don't know how long it'll take now, but hopefully I'll know either way within the month.

Done any viewings lately, there's been a couple of good nights recently?

Adam

• 1 month later...

Hi Dogsjag,

There's been no decision yet. Hopefully there'll an answer soon - 2-3 weeks maybe. I'm post it here when I do.

As Knobby says it's not been easy, but I think I've a strong case. We'll find out soon though.

Thanks very much. However it goes I really appreciate the support of everyone on this forum.

Hopefully some of you will be able to help set it up with me one day. I probably shouldn't be but I'm really looking forward to not having to spend ages setting up and taking down the scope, and particularly not having to do a pesky polar alignment every time - that always takes far to long.

Anyway thanks guys, I'll let you know when I have the decision.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan, welcome.

No sorry, no news on the appeal yet, thanks for the interest though - it all helps to highlight the likely demand. My local authority is currently consulting on it's local plan which is now at an early stage. I'm going to raise the issue of facilities for astronomers though this as well.

As knobby says though, at least in the short term, you should keep an eye on the venturing out thread, they'll be more activity come winter (when it gets dark earlier) but hopefully a few opportunities before then.

• 2 weeks later...

So an update then. Unfortunately the Inspector assigned to my appeal has had to withdraw for personal reasons (I hope she's ok). Another Inspector has been assigned and will conduct another site visit in early September. It now looks like it could be another couple of months until a decision is reached.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm sad to tell you all that my appeal has been dismissed, as you'd expect I'm very disappointed.

The main reasons appears to be that the house would be too far from the nearest village, adversely affect local views and that I would be dependent on a private car for transport. The rationale appears quite odd in more than a few places. For example, despite my Local Authority being one of many that aren't currently building sufficient houses, the Inspector decided not to explore this issue because the proposal was only for one house - clearly they are still trying to favor large developments despite all the rhetoric around small scale and self-builds.

On the observatory the rationale also seems more than a little unfair. The Inspector decided that because astronomy only interests relatively few people (compared to say a village hall) it would have no support in local and national planning policies. I mentioned that I would commit to holding at least 10 'public open nights' per year (with all the organisation that would involve - volunteers probably would have allowed many more), apparently this was too limited - even though it was a suggested minimum.

If you'd like further information on the reasons the decision document can be found at the following link:
http://publicaccess.uttlesford.gov.uk/online-applications/files/6804C8DE960474F356A8F9C6F2F6F28B/pdf/UTT_14_2239_OP-APPEAL_-_DECISION_NOTICE-2257970.pdf

I'm considering options for a further appeal (as I think the Inspector is just plan wrong in more than a few places), but this would involve a court case at the High Court with all the costs and risks that would bring. I'm told just seeking a opinion from a barrister on whether it would be worth pursuing would cost £500, a court appearance would probably be well out of my reach. If anyone knows a planning barrister, perhaps with an interest in astronomy then please do let me know - PM me.

Thanks for all your support these last few months, and I hope to see many of you under clear skies this winter.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Archived