SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Phd2: Binning upgrade in progress

rfdesigner

Hi

I use Phd2 when imaging.  With both Phd and Phd2 they only accept the lodestar camera in 1x1 binning mode, which makes download times around 200ms.

If like me your mount is a bit thrashy a short guide time is advantageous, so a 500ms integration time becomes 700ms once download is included.  The shorter the guide time the more this is important (ie for AO).  So I raised a request to have Phd2 able to do hardware binning:  2x2 would give roughly 50ms download time, which should be a noticeable advantage for both AO and thrashy mounts like mine.

Today I received an email that my request has been accepted and so we can expect this to be implemented at some, as yet undefined point.

I am of course deeply grateful to the Phd2 guys...  

Derek

• 1 month later...

I would welcome this feature too, as i guide with a meade DSI and an OAG, and I would like to try binning  as I've read this can help to smooth out the graph a bit when using OAG's,

Maxim has this feature but i have never been able to get maxim to calibrate with my EQ6.

Lee

If you have an ASCOM interface for your this might allow you to get at the binning settings.  For example when trying PHD2 with my SXV-H9 using the native drivers there was no way to set the binning.  But if I set up PHD2 to access the camera via an ASCOM driver, I was able to set up binning via the ASCOM settings window.

AstroArt 5 allows binning on the guide camera.

You'll need to have excellent seeing for a 500ms exposure or you'll have the mount chasing. I generally go for about 1-1.5sec.

I routinely use 500ms exposure but with PHD's 3x3 median noise reduction. It seems to work very well and I have tried longer exposures for comparison. I briefly tried 200ms but the mount/comms cannot keep up.

ChrisH

I routinely use 500ms exposure but with PHD's 3x3 median noise reduction. It seems to work very well and I have tried longer exposures for comparison. I briefly tried 200ms but the mount/comms cannot keep up.

ChrisH

Chris,

For me personally I've never seen any benefits from sub 1 second guiding exposures only problems. Anything up to 3 seconds gives excellent guiding in my experience but as Chris Shillito has said many times, every mount is different.

Matt. 

Archived