Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinion on Orion SkyQuest XT-10" Intelliscope

Hello,
I am thinking of buying a Dobson Orion XT-10 "Intelliscope model for observation of deep sky objects and planets and also something in Luna, and I would like to know your advice on this model.
If someone uses it, I would like to know the result given, both optically and mechanically.
This is a telescope that could handle what one person?
Regards and very friendly for your attention.
Paul

Hi Paul, I think that there was a brief account of someone with a 12" or 14" version of this scope on here a few months back, but they do not seem to be particularly common place, at least amongst people on this forum. On the other hand, the Skywatcher Flextube 250 or 300 is very popular and  highly regarded. If you consider the manual version it will be lighter (and cheaper) therefore easier to handle (in two sections).

Hello Paul. I have the 6" and 8" Intelliscope, both are excellent optically and mechanically and the "push to" is a very nice feature. The complete 8" can be lifted by one person but the 10" would require dismantling into two parts. :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Paul,

I have a 12 inch SkyQuest Dob (with struts).  If I had bought a full tube (even a 10 inch) dob, I think at some point it would have  been a struggle to set up on my own.  However having bought the two-sectioned version, I have found it a simple exercise to move and set up.

I think the best advice would be to have a look at both the full OTA and the strutted versions before you make your mind up.

S.

Optically, the Orion XT-10 is the same as the Skywatcher 250PX. The Intelliscope system is a "push to" rather than GOTO system but is generally well thought of.

It should be manageable by one person as the scope can be moved in two sections. I'd not want to carry one down lots of flights of stairs all the same !

Archived