SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Daytime Moon

Pig

I didn't realise just how often the Moon can be seen during the day in summertime :smiley: If the weather conditions allow there is some excellent viewing to be had.

It is looking excellent at the moment with the broken whites and greys  (not aliens) contrasting against a cloudless magnificent blue sky, the craters in the north of the surface and all along the termination look excellent. Even my daughter is having a good look through the scope, most unusual, maybe she is human after all :laugh:

Agree.

Its a lovely daytime object, lots of alternative contrasting hues are missed if astronomy is limited to the times of darkness.  Jupiter shows some very nice contrasted disc features in the same conditions.  I enjoyed first light on a day-lit moon, certain lighting reveals defined topography.

Always loved the daytime moon. Even long before I got a telescope. And had fun pointing it out to some folks who had never even dreamed it could be seen in daylight! Then I got a scope ... Oh my, what a difference that made!

Love the thought of your daughter 'seeing' too, Shaun. I'm trying to fill my grandsons' heads with things non-electronic, as well. They have to look up in order to help them see how important it is to preserve what's down here.

Sheesh! Comes over like a sermon. Sorry.

Glad you and your daughter saw the moon, together. Hang in, together.

Gordon

My daughter was quite impressed the first few times and then got bored of looking :shocked: She has however taken more of an interest lately, maybe because its warm outside :smiley:

Nice sermon though :grin:

I often look at the Moon 'when it is still light'. It is important not to ramp up the magnification though, I usually use 60x and really enjoy seeing the terminator standout as the skies darken.

This evening I was viewing Saturn and Mars before they became visible with the naked eye and it was lovely seeing them in a nice little line with the Moon between them. The skies stayed cleared just long enough to get great views along the terminator, especially the shadows in Autolycus and Aristillus, Mons Piton and the Valles Alpes region.

Stupid question: how would you find Saturn and Mars before they become visible with the naked eye? Just point the spotter scope into the air where you think they "should" be and search? Or something more scientific?

'Viewing Saturn and Mars before they became visible with the naked eye'!?

What magic is this I read of, Steve? Can I buy some? Earn some? What may I barter? For this is treasure indeed!

:-) :-)

Stupid question: how would you find Saturn and Mars before they become visible with the naked eye? Just point the spotter scope into the air where you think they "should" be and search? Or something more scientific?

'Viewing Saturn and Mars before they became visible with the naked eye'!?

What magic is this I read of, Steve? Can I buy some? Earn some? What may I barter? For this is treasure indeed!

:-) :-)

Last night was a bit of a lucky arrangement of these two planets and the half moon. The moon was positioned between them, so once you had found the moon, it was relatively easy to pan either side (and up or down a bit), with a Widefield eyepiece to find the planet. Once centred you then ramp up the mag a bit. Even though the sky still looks like full daylight, it is a fair bit darker than at midday so the planets are easier to find. An EQ would probably be a little easier as you effectively pan along the ecliptic.

This is how it was yesterday:

yzu4yzub.jpg

But Saturn should still be possible quite easily today as the moon is still relatively near, just pan the other way. A big finder or Widefield certainly helps.

I've done it aswell with Jupiter before, with the aid of goto which I left setup and aligned, just parked. I found it in the vixen at 2pm and tracked it all the way until night fall.

Have fun

Stu

Stu has given an excellent answer.

Yes and Yes. I have a GOTO scope so once I see the moon I can do a solar system align and go looking from there for any other object. It would also be possible to use the sun but I do not have a solar filter so that is a big no-no. With no moon in the sky I have also played 'hide and seek' using a mobile app with google sky with mixed results if I try too soon.

Last night I used solar system align. Mars is the brighter of the two and appeared first, then Saturn at 100x magnification.

Archived