Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suprise View Hathersage?

I have just got back from a ride out to take a daytime look at Surprise View Hathersage as a venue to do some star gazing, this is listed as a dark sky site on the Peak District National Park Web site. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience of using this site.

My first and main concern is that the first thing I noticed when arriving at the site was a sign saying the gates will be locked at 10PM. It did say Friday and Saturday nights, and I assume that is the only nights they lock the gates. I would be interested to know if this is the case.

Thanks Peter

• 7 months later...

bumping an old thread as I have the same question

live a few minutes from here and would like to do some observing and meet some fellow observers too actually - cos before I buy scope 2 I want to look through some other folks toys :)

is it worth a night time trip?

I would be up for that. I live about 45 minutes away but work in London three to four nights a week so weekends would be best for me.

I know the site as I have used it for walking. I can't remember there being a gate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Derek - and others

thanks for the reply

bumping this thread again as it would be good to sort something

With the clocks just changed (and having a young observing partner who has a sensible bed time) I would be restricted to viewing from dusk to maybe 10pm

Would after Easter work? maybe a Friday or Saturday evening? We could use Clear Outside to make the final go/no go decision . . .

The term 'dark sky' is relative. It's not so bad straight up but there is LP to contend with.

This pic is 30s ISO 800 on a Nikon 12-24mm at 12mm and f4 and was taken  about a mile north of suprise - suprise is behind that dark hill in the foreground far right.

D3H_3841%201024_zpsljl5sohu.jpg

hi  think it would be a great idea to have a meet up for a chat, As there is a few newbies on this site including myself who would gain more experience with people who know what to look for ,iwould be interested in going to  Surprise View Hathersage will look forward to seeing some dates cheers stephen

Archived