SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

At Last!!! We're moving to a dark sky site....

AstroTux

As all the legal work is now official, I fell compelled to share my good news. After some time trying to arrange everything, Linda and I are finally going to be moving house from the light polluted skies of Reading, to the wonderful skies of the North West Highlands of Scotland :grin: :grin: .

We have bought a house in Shieldaig on Loch Shieldaig which itself is on Loch Torridon, 70 miles west of Inverness. We will be moving in around 2 months time ( with luck ). Whilst we will be surrounded by 3500ft mountains there are many places where a good, uninterrupted view of the sky is available so we will be looking forward to clear nights. We will also be able to fulfil our dream of taking the 'scope to the top of the Bealach na Ba ( Britain's highest road, 2053ft ) for a night's observing as it's only 15 minutes drive away :cool: .

Here are some pictures for you to drool over:

post-17616-0-19030100-1406889499_thumb.j

Shieldaig village

post-17616-0-53545900-1406889524_thumb.j

oor new hoose. It's currently being run as a B&B, so we may start taking people in for winter hill-walking and astro-tourism, but haven't decided yet.

post-17616-0-90295900-1406889545_thumb.j

the view from the front of the house. White-tailed eagles nest on the island.

As you can probably guess, all the work involved is why I haven't been posting much recently, but be warned this may change.....

Our only fear is that as we will be 600 miles further north, getting to SGL X may present a few problems :huh: , but I'm sure we will find a way around them.

all the best,

Alan

I have passed that way once or twice, what a beautiful part of the world. I found it rained quite a lot but when the skies were clear it was a sight to behold. Good luck to you in your fantastic new home. What a view to wake up to...

Been up Bealach na Ba on a summer holiday decades ago. As I recall the wind made opening the car door hazardous, and the rain was horizontal. Mind you the views were stunning.

Looks lovely if a bit remote.

But don't you need to be remote to get dark skies??  :grin:  :grin:  :evil:

Love that part of Scotland, best wishes for your move and look forward to more pictures

Don't worry, when we're settled in there will be lots of pictures, probably on our own hill-walking website. In the meantime you could always look here http://www.stevecarter.com/ansh/ansh2.htm  ............

Been up Bealach na Ba on a summer holiday decades ago. As I recall the wind made opening the car door hazardous, and the rain was horizontal. Mind you the views were stunning.

Yes, it can get quite hairy up there, but when the weather is still it's fantastic.

looks great but deffo no observing in summer! BTW book me in for December :D

Summer is for fishing!!! :evil: :evil: :grin:  I've fished lochs up there well after midnight during the Summer, but Autumn, Winter and Spring are for observing. Drinking happens all year round!!! :evil: :evil: I'll let you know if and when we start to take people in.

many thanks for all your good wishes,

Alan

Sounds like quite an adventure, and as big a change as could probably be possible whilst staying in the UK.  Give it a couple of years mind, and you might well not be in the UK :D  I hope the skies (and fishing) are suitably rewarding.  If the weather is decent next March 20th I assume you should have a fairly decent view of the eclipse even though you're outside the area of totality.

James

Archived