stargazine_ep34_banner.thumb.jpg.28dd32d9305c7de9b6591e6bf6600b27.jpg

Veil Nebula in OIII (130pds)

After various false starts, ive finally gotten something on the Veil this year! Not a lot, and its only just under 2 hours unbinned so it needs more data to be noise free (possibly 3 or 4 hours per channel).

This was also a test for the collimation method I tested for the first time (using a webcam and Al's collimation aid), it would be nice to have a better camera for the job as the ancient logitec quickcam i was using didnt give the best picture possible - but it was enough to see that my secondary was too far up the tube. Only a slight bit of rotation, but its now corrected.

It would be cool if there was some sort of lens in 2" filter format that could be used for the task - so you could collimate with your imaging camera and everything else in place. Come on.... somebody invent it!...lol :D

15x450 (OIII)

130pds, Atik 383L+, NEQ6

Thanks for looking!

Rob

14794534444_3f886e853d_b.jpg

• Like 13

Cheers Rik :)

Once ive got a proper set of data I'd like to do a direct comparision to last years 80ED version, should be interesting. Im expecting the 80ED to be the sharper of the two - we shall see!

Thanks Sara :)

Im currently trying out the 0.9x corrector again at the moment, just to see if I can get the signal levels up a touch more. If it works I might finish the Ha tonight as well :)

red dwalf, on 03 Aug 2014 - 08:41 AM, said:

yes very nice, has some lovely detail.

i`ve just bought a set of narrowband filters myself and plan to have a go at this target, hopefully i can just get it on my 314L+ chip 

Dont worry ;) you should be able to fit most of the broom on a 314L+ (depending on your focal length). This thing screams in OIII :D

I did manage to grab a full set of Ha last night (very clear it was), with the bonus being that I had the 130pds running at f4.5 with good corners - all im waiting for is a bit of free time to get some flats done.

Looking good Mr Rob, tonight should be good for the OIII   :D

Already bagged the OIII for this one mate, Im just working on the second pane before I process it as a joblot. I managed a sneaky stab at M8 and the Triffid last night as well, but only managed to get 8x300s subs before next doors tree (or should I say weeds) got in the way.

• Like 1

I am new to the hobby (5 weeks of actual scope time. Using Mallincam and Starlight Xpress Lodestar with Lodestar Live to image at this time. Still researching ccd cam and what filters at what band to get ie. Ha in 3,5,7, or 8 nm are the Ha, OIII and SII only for the mono cams? Does the scope type and light pollution have bearing on which filter band pass level? I was considering getting a color cam not out of laziness but simplicity as I have memory issues and worry about learning the complexities of filter wheels.

I am new to the hobby (5 weeks of actual scope time. Using Mallincam and Starlight Xpress Lodestar with Lodestar Live to image at this time. Still researching ccd cam and what filters at what band to get ie. Ha in 3,5,7, or 8 nm are the Ha, OIII and SII only for the mono cams? Does the scope type and light pollution have bearing on which filter band pass level? I was considering getting a color cam not out of laziness but simplicity as I have memory issues and worry about learning the complexities of filter wheels.

Your Canon coupled to the SCT should get you started. The best LP filter is a 3 Nm Ha but these are very pricy. I use a Baader 7Nm Ha with a mono camera for imaging.

A.G

if you get a mono camera it will allow you to do narrowband imaging, i.e. ha oiii and sii, the darker the nm the more the price rockets but a good compromise is 7nm for the ha,

filter wheels are not too hard to get the hang off, i would never remember which filter was in which socket but i now have a starlight xpress usb wheel and the software is great, you can name the filter positions so you don`t need to remember them  

I was looking at the Starlight Xpress SX-694 mono with mini filter wheel with 5 slots for LRGB and One more for Ha, OIII, OR NII (for use on future Hyperstar setup) but not sure now as I am reading posts here that suggest Atik might be better quality but not sure their filter wheel will be too big for Hyperstar or not, also planning to get a Moonlite Focuser and computer controled motor.

Uranium I did not intend to hijack your post for information.