Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Mount for Astrophotography

Hi guys,

Currently I have a skywatcher 150p on an eq3-2 mount, I have added a motor and tried the hack for guided astrophotography, to be honest I think I have got as much out of this set up as I can, the setup time is to long so looking for something to give me better tracking, brighter images and quicker setup time.

I was thinking about upgrading my mount to this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html and keep using the same scope for now.

My question is how good is the tracking for astrophotography after aligning the mount?. Its this part that takes up all my time on the EQ3-2.

Also, does anyone have an recommendations for a portable telescope (8" and up) for viewing only.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ronan

The HEQ5 will be a great mount for you to start into AP with that size of scope. Though you might run into some trouble achieving focus with that scope. I know that the 150pds is what is typically used for AP. I think you can just upgrade the focuser and it will fix that problem but I'm not 100% sure on that.

Hi guys,

Currently I have a skywatcher 150p on an eq3-2 mount, I have added a motor and tried the hack for guided astrophotography, to be honest I think I have got as much out of this set up as I can, the setup time is to long so looking for something to give me better tracking, brighter images and quicker setup time.

I was thinking about upgrading my mount to this http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-heq5-pro-synscan.html and keep using the same scope for now.

My question is how good is the tracking for astrophotography after aligning the mount?. Its this part that takes up all my time on the EQ3-2.

Also, does anyone have an recommendations for a portable telescope (8" and up) for viewing only.

Thanks again for all your help.

Ronan

If the polar alignment is up to scratch the tracking is good for up to 60~90s unguided depending on the FL. The 150 is 750mm and is bulky so 90s would be your top limit. From here on ypu'd need guiding and that is another topic. I know that some people claim to be able to track up to 300s unguided. I don't doubt their claims but the only mount that is capable of doing that unguided is of a 10 Micron variety and these start at £6000.00 +. The HEQ5 is a decent mount for the money but if protability is not an issue I'd advise to go for an NEQ6 just to put some future proofing in .

A.G

Firstly, before spending any money on hardware... go purchase http://www.firstlightoptics.com/books/making-every-photon-count-steve-richards.html

The HEQ5 is a great mount, and will easily handle the 150... I use it with an 80ED, and a 6"RC, both guided. I have managed to achieve 4 minutes unguided with the HEQ5, but that was a one off fluke, typically with the 80ED, 2 to 3 minutes was normal. The 150 is a larger tube, and therefore you may not be able to achieve quite the same unguided. Guided, it'll sit happily and steadily for 20 minutes (2.5 revolutions of the drive using a 1200mm focal length). 

I can't comment on the iOptron, but I'm sure it's a decent mount.

I would just add, that as you'll probably be using a laptop anyway to control the camera, you might as well save some cash by getting the syntrek version and using eqmod.

iOptron ZEQ25GT CEM  for me. Best money i ever spent.

I don't know this mount at first hand but I do know the iEQ45 and it would not be my choice for an 8 inch Newt. The 45 has some nice features but an 8 inch Newt can take a bit of holding.

If you want to be sure of good results, even with a bit of wind in the air, go for the NEQ6 for an 8 inch Newt.

From you post I can't be sure whether or not you want to autogude. If you want anything resembling a really good astrophoto you need to autoguide. It's a fact of life. (Or spend £13,000 on your mount and then a year gettting it to work...)

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

Ieq45 states a payload capacity of 22kg is this not enough for a 200p? Even the ieq30 has a capacity of 14kg virtually the same as a heq5.

By the way my main reason for posting was ... How do the ioptron mounts compare to the heq5 for noise when slewing?

+1 for the HEQ syntrek with hi tec Astro EQDirect adapter. The savings could be put towards a finder guider. I've easily managed 5 min dune with this setup. There shouldn't be any focus issues with the 150p.

get your self an skywatcher az-eq6 gt you wont  need another mount. with my 200pds on it with camera and all the other bits on it. even with a moderate breeze its not a problem. and it tracks brill with a good polar align and i get 2 and a half mins unguided. mind you its not exactly portable but it is doable.

Ieq45 states a payload capacity of 22kg is this not enough for a 200p? Even the ieq30 has a capacity of 14kg virtually the same as a heq5.

By the way my main reason for posting was ... How do the ioptron mounts compare to the heq5 for noise when slewing?

Payload of a mount has nothing to do with it's suitabilty to guide a scope with a large inertia such as 200 or 250p. I used to have an EQ5 pro and I used to do 1200s subs with twin scope set up as the whole tandem unit was very compact with low overhang but it was well in excess of 7 KG in weight. The problem with some of the I Optron mounts is the  Spring loaded  mesh system that once out of adjustment will cause all sort of guiding errors.

A.G

• 2 months later...

Okay what about the new iOptron IEQ45 Pro. It boasts zero backlash as there is no spring in the new model. It also boasts a better worm and gears.

Would this mount be good for a 200p? I hear from Olly above that the IEQ45 is not ideal for a large newt. There are initial reviews the new Pro version would be fine with long ota's.

Would anyone using the new IOptron IEQ45 Pro be able to confirm this?

I'm interested in a good mount that is light to carry but gives me the best bang for buck for long exposures using my newt.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Archived