SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How often do you upgrade?

I am pretty sure most people have a series of wishlists and future upgrade plans, but I wonder what kind of turnaround time people have had and what their longest stint on a particular setup was, and also what are the common progressions in terms of upgrades (6'' to 10'' newt for instance)?

I am new to all this, but realised quite quickly that my AstroMaster 130EQ was going to just be the start and I pretty quickly upgraded to an imaging setup and a Dob for visual. I intend to remain with this for a while although with just a DSLR shared with my wife for fashion photography as well, a CCD combo is looming large. My wishlist and 'ideal' setup is coming out pretty pricey...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule. I've still got my first scope (and one or two more). sadly I don't seem to be able to part with things too easily. There's one or two on here that seem to change their kit almost weekly. To each their own I say :D

I've usually got some upgrade options in the back of my mind but, as I buy my stuff on the used market, the timing is driven by something becoming available at the same time that I have some capital to work with.

The pace of scope and eyepiece upgrading has slowed over the past couple of years for me because I'm probably more or less where I want to be now in those departments. If I buy anything now it's more out of curiosity than need if I'm honest about it  :rolleyes2:

I don't image which helps keep things under control a bit I think. The pace of change in that arena has been staggering over the past couple of years and I can see why the temptation for frequent upgrades is there. 

Good question, i have only had my kit for about a year but i am sure it will stay for a very long time.

I have no plans to upgrade because the equipment i have does all that i need, i could change things but would it realy be an upgrade or just a different set of focal lengths to play with i could then "upgrade" my mount to suit the new scope then guiding and ccd etc but wait i would have ended up with something that has to be carried out it bits, asssembled, set up and supplied with power which is not what i want.

The idea of adding to what i have is much more appealing rather than making it "better" by upgrading.

Alan

I've usually got some upgrade options in the back of my mind but, as I buy my stuff on the used market, the timing is driven by something becoming available at the same time that I have some capital to work with.

The pace of scope and eyepiece upgrading has slowed over the past couple of years for me because I'm probably more or less where I want to be now in those departments. If I buy anything now it's more out of curiosity than need if I'm honest about it  :rolleyes2:

I don't image which helps keep things under control a bit I think. The pace of change in that arena has been staggering over the past couple of years and I can see why the temptation for frequent upgrades is there. 

Whilst I agree that trying to keep on top of imaging tech will keep you broke, I've a feeling you e.p. case would buy my imaging rig many times over. If you see me loitering, lock up your e.p's ;)

I guess the angle I was coming from is that while there is a steep learning curve for a lot of the activities in amateur astronomy, and the temptation is to get the best of everything, as soon as possible, there is a lot to be said for getting the last ounce of performance/visual/skills from what you have before doing so. There is a lot of experience on these forums and I wanted to tap into the thoughts of how people have progressed in this field in terms of equipment and also how the kit they did go for has altered their interest and direction - fascination with doubles/spectroscopy/nebula imaging/super nova hunting etc etc...

Maybe I just need to be told that it is alright to calm down and that this is going to be a long term project :smiley:

I suspect it might depend on the scope's that you prefer - Refractor:Reflector.

In some ways for a reflector there is 130mm -150mm - 200mm - 250mm. Then it seems to stop, most likely owing to physical size and weight. The progression is almost laid out in front of you, also if you read the posts people seemed to be urged on to the next one up.

In refractors it appears different, buy a decent 80mm and I have rarely seen people being urged to sell it and get a 102mm. Another facor is what is an upgrade in refractors?

80mm to 102mm, or 80mm ED to 80mm APO,

Is selling an 80mm apo and getting a 102 ED an upgrade or a backward step.

Equally upgrading along the aspect of size to a big refractor costs a lot.

I also suspect that someone with a reflector will get up to one good sized one and stick there, and lose the smaller ones along the way, someone with a refractor seems to keep it and get another, so ending up with several not one.

I've had my two telescopes for five and ten years and no immediate plans to move on.  Will probably acquire a 80mm refractor when I can no longer lift my 127mm refractor out and on to its mount. (not enough garden for a proper observatory).  Have upgraded cameras more often and quite fancy a newer faster planetary camera. Might change my tripod for a fixed pier and very much 'want' a pair of15x70 Apollo bins (as my eyes are are too old  to use all the light gathered by my 11x 80 Helios bins). Next 'necessary' purchase is a replacement 360 Telegizmo cover for my  NEQ6.

Several factors temper my purchasing programme:

1. The extent of my pension
  2. My wife's seemingly ever expanding but finite goodwill
  3. My skills/astrofocus horizon (my current kit probably  exceeds my abilities and dedication by a country mile)

..... there is a lot to be said for getting the last ounce of performance/visual/skills from what you have before doing so. ....

I think that is very true but I suspect that human nature plus kit being relatively cheap and easily available today leads many folks to upgrade way before they have really exhausted the potential of what they have. I've been as guilty as anyone on this :rolleyes2:

Having reached the limit of the scope size that my observing circumstances make practical (12" dob) I do now have to push it's limits though as getting anything larger is just not feasible.

There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule. I've still got my first scope (and one or two more). sadly I don't seem to be able to part with things too easily. There's one or two on here that seem to change their kit almost weekly. To each their own I say :D

I hope your not pointing fingers scott :D

I have had a 10" reflector since 1996 I can't see me ever needing to upgrade as such. A 10" provides a lifetime of objects for visual obseving.

Anything bigger than 10" is more of a treat to oneself. Few could honestly say they've exhausted the targets observable with a 10" scope. I know I couldn't.

That said when does need ever come into it. ;):lol:

I also have a 20" reflector. I don't need it, but it sure as hell is good fun :grin:

I upgraded when I felt the equipment was the limiting factor rather than my skills/experience. I spent a good few months considering my options and what I wanted to do before purchasing my first telescope (Explorer 150P). For me it was exactly the right choice and I am still using it as my primary imaging instrument 4 years later. I will add a shorter focal length refractor, probably an Esprit 80, when funds allow but at this point I consider it an alternative, not an upgrade.

I have upgraded the mount (EQ3-2 --> NEQ6 Pro) and the camera (Unmodded Canon 1000D --> SXV-H9 Mono CCD and LRGB Ha OIII filters)

Regarding the visual side, I already knew at the outset that I was interested in deep sky rather than planets, so that meant aperture was most important. After 2 years my 150P was set aside for imaging duty and I bought a 250PX Dob for looking through. This was, and remains, the largest aperture that is practical for me. I do hope to someday add a 16"-18" instrument but I have no burning desire to do that anytime soon. I know it would not get much use with my current circumstances, even if I could afford it!

With eyepieces I was fortunate enough to be able to borrow my first set of upgrades, so in effect my wallet skipped the middle set and I went straight from the Super MA kit EP's, to a nice set of Pentax XW's. When I bought my 150P, within 3 months I had a couple of Baader Hyperions, Meade UWA and Vixen LV's on loan from my brother in law to play with. I used those for about 2 years before I could afford the XW's.

The only genuine future like-for-like  'eyepiece' upgrades I would consider, would be swapping my Hyperion 3.5mm for an XW 3.5mm and swapping my 1.25" Astronomik UHC for a 2" version of the same. Other than that, I am set for life with eyepieces.

Because I do this for a living and because I have access to great kit, not all of it mine, it is often supposed that I'm an equipment freak. Nothing could be further from the truth. (Per will confirm this!) I'm a 'get it working and don't mess it up' freak. My dream is not to upgrade at all! I like imaging. To do it well you need to know your kit, know that it is stable and know how to get the best out of it. That means not changing it every eight seconds.

Nutshell, I don't like upgrading becaue it means changing, and changing means losing some precious insights into what really makes a nice picture at the end of the... night! (The astro equivalent of that irksome cliché, At the end of the day...)

:grin: lly

Well, here in Spain I've just received an email from one of the Astro outfits reminding me that they close from Aug 1. through to Aug. 25 :icon_razz: . So a panic order has just been placed.

From your posts/website I can see that for you it is not so much a series of upgrades but more a continuous process!

Haha! Yes, I suppose you got me on that one ;) One GM2000HPS II on its way ;)

/per

Well, here in Spain I've just received an email from one of the Astro outfits reminding me that they close from Aug 1. through to Aug. 25 :icon_razz: . So a panic order has just been placed.

Mmmmmm! Nice!

Because I do this for a living and because I have access to great kit, not all of it mine, it is often supposed that I'm an equipment freak. Nothing could be further from the truth. (Per will confirm this!) I'm a 'get it working and don't mess it up' freak. My dream is not to upgrade at all! I like imaging. To do it well you need to know your kit, know that it is stable and know how to get the best out of it. That means not changing it every eight seconds.

Nutshell, I don't like upgrading becaue it means changing, and changing means losing some precious insights into what really makes a nice picture at the end of the... night! (The astro equivalent of that irksome cliché, At the end of the day...)

:grin: lly

Confirmed. Olly Penrice is not an upgrader, rather a keeper and a guardian of things that work (albeit in an archaic way). Having said that, my main challenge as of lately is the introduction of auto focusing with focusmax to Mr Penrice... Stay tuned ;)

/per

I've no plans to upgrade my ota in the near future though I keep getting the urge to splash out on accessories for it. High on the list are some orthos, a lunt wedge, a RACI finder the list goes on...

Keeping an eye on the second hand market but thankfully I keep missing out on 'bargains' since Mrs Steele wouldn't be happy!! I have spent lots on astro related purchases already this year! ;)

Cant say that I upgrade often, as I just stick with what works. But my ideal collection would be:

1) 300-350mm small APO

2) 650mm f5 newt

3) 1000mm f5 newt

4) 2000mm RC

Thats pretty much all the bases covered, the 383 will be (very!) happy on all four :)  Last thing I upgraded was my filters (went to 2"), which is a right wallet basher!

Not so much upgrading as adding-to, although I will be replacing my narrow band filters for Astrodon (I just received a 3nM OIII but haven't used it yet). I'm really pleased with the performance of my old Losmandy G!!, so much so that although I intend to get a 10 Micron GM2000HPS next year I'll likely keep the G11, because I don't have a portable setup for small to medium scopes, and the s/h value of the G11 won't make selling it worthwhile. I want the larger mount because I also intend to add a larger aperture imaging OTA, perhaps a 12" RC or similar, and the G11 won't cope with that. My NP127is I don't think can be improved on so I will keep that until it wears out :)

ChrisH

Archived