SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cocoon Deep Field

ollypenrice

Taken with SGLer Gedan using the twin Tak tandem/Mesu 200/Atik 11000 (Tom's) and SXVH36 (Yves'), this has 23.5 hours of data taken over three nights. Plus some high res overlays just for the Coccon itself from larger scopes.

Ha 25x30 mins at 7Nm and 6x30 at 3Nm.

Lum 17x15

RGB 5x15 per channel.

This appraoch to the target was pioneered by Fabian Neyer, whom we salute! Seeing the dust lanes as foreground objects blew my socks off when I first saw his famous image. Ha was added to red and as luminance. The signal is very faint in Ha for the widefield even with 15.5 Hrs all in. The big processing challenge was keeping the stars down by using masks and carefully chosen curves. There are rather a lot of them in this region!

Olly and Gedan.

COCOON%20IC5146%20HaLRGB%20WEB%20-XL.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It often leaves me baffled as to how and why people come to the conclusion that there is no point in imaging DSO's as someone has done it before and it will just be the same, just go and look at google images. This image has such a different feel to it than the usual widefield cocoon nebula images you see.

It also baffles me when people argue against remote imaging set up's and sharing data as "you haven't taken the image".

There are so many ways to emphasise the different elements of the data, all as valid as the last, and when they turn out as splendid as this one, who's to argue?

Archived