Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best observing sites in Exmoor?

Hi folks, I'm going down to Exmoor for a weekend soon, staying in Lynton, near Lynmouth.

I know Exmoor its a well-recognised dark sky site, but not sure where the particularly good spots to park up and observe might be.

Top tips on where I should aim for (nearish to Lynton) very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Well I've been observing on Countisbury hill before which is near Lynmouth/Lynton (just up the other side of the town), there's a car park (free parking I think owned by the National Trust, anyone that knows better please correct me if I'm wrong), from there you can walk to the church and then through the church yard and up onto the open hill / cliff (take a torch, falling off cliffs in the dark is not recommended).

There are some buildings at Countisbury including a pub so some outside lighting but if you walk a little way you should be clear of any direct lighting as they are in a bit of valley along with the road. I can also recommend the pub, while you're there or as a good place to deposit less keen observing companions.

I'm sure there are other locations nearby but this is one I've actually been to and will probably go back to at some point.

During the day is fine? :laugh:

Unless done intentionally probably not, but at least forgetting your torch won't be something you'll likely regret on the way down :)

We camped in a Yurt near Challacombe last year and the skies on the second night were just phenomenal - some of the best I've seen in this hemisphere, including back home in the New Forest. That was the first time I saw M33 in my little ST80 - it's quite easy in skies like that.

Unfortunately the skies on the first night decided to rain on us... constantly! That's Exmoor for you though!

DD

Might also be worth seeing if you can contact someone at Wimbleball Lake to see if you can just rock up and get going.  They have occasional stargazing events there, but I have no idea what the deal is if you're just wanting to observe on your own.  Could be a bit of a drag to get to if you're at Lynton though.  Mind you, everywhere's a bit of a drag to get to from Lynton :D

James

Archived