Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pier on a 1st floor flat roof

NickMorris

Hi there,

I am in the process of rebuilding the rear extension to my house and have an opportunity to build a pier on top of the 1st floor flat roof.  My reasons for doing this are:-

1) Permanent pier to negate having to setup and break down in the garden each night I want to image.

2) Security - My garden is not secure therefore I have to stay up all the time I am imaging to break down the gear when finished

3) Much better area of the sky would be viewable.

The downside is thermal currents rising from the house or possibly nearby neighbours house.  Seeing as I am doing the work, I could heavily insulate the roof to try to prevent thermal currents rising from the room below and try to create a flat roof with low thermal mass so that it will not retain too much heat to be released at night.

Does anyone have any experience of imaging above buildings and is this a total non starter?

thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

I'm in the process of building a small observatory on my 2nd floor balcony for many of the same reasons (well maybe exept for the security issue) as you stated. Here is my build thread. I have my gear setup as close to the back end at the South side of the buidling so I don't have to imageover the buidling. My Northern skies aren't good anyway as the there is major lightpolution from the city overthere. I have done one imaging run form the balcony as you can see in my build thread and it turned out pretty good, although that was on a night with a lot of moisture in the air.

My observatory is on a flat roof of a building. The obs is built of brick and surrounding the whole lot is masses of concrete and slabbing. I did worry about the thermals when I started. Living in Spain this space is in the sun all day and I figured that the concrete terrace area would release it's heat for many hours after dark.

If you are interested I have some pictures of the small obs on my website. So far, I am not aware that it has caused any issues at all. Neither do I have the often quoted obligatory 1m3 concrete block to bolt the pier onto. It works fine. |I've not noticed any issues with my imaging.

Thank you Tim and Sara for your comments, much appreciated...

I have often admired your images Sara and the fact that they come from a pier above your house, gives me hope for my idea.  Completely off topic but I think I met a friend of yours Colin, at Kelling Heath in the spring......

If I go ahead with this, I would insert a couple of steel beams when I rebuild the roof and then bolt a steel to span the other two, then bolt a pier to this.  Hopefully should be pretty solid........

thanks again

Nick

Yes I do admit to being friends with Colin!!! ..... grin:

My flat roof isn't above my house, just a summer kitchen and store area. To that end, I don't have anyone walking around underneath. Not sure how that may affect you. I set everything going and then leave the obs - No movement or vibrations.

Archived