Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Nightfly

Selected Regions of The Milky Way

Greetings SGL members.

It has been some time since I have posted any new film images. It is true that I have been having a fling with a mistress named DSLR, but my heart is in these images done in the way I learned thirty years ago.

My last imaging session according to my Log book was October 11, 2012. I had just finished a roll of Superia that night and I almost never returned. I began experimenting with digital. It was fun and productive but I missed my old film images. I was delayed further about one year ago. Without warning I suffered a severe heart attack. It was quite the scene. I was a goner for sure if not for the help of some cracker jack EMT's that kept CPR going. I was gone for over 15 minutes. The ER got me back and the chopper flight to an emergency heart catheterization lab placed a stent and after several months of rehab I am back and good as new!

I had one great session in late June. For several back-to-back nights the weather cooperated enough to image with a new lens and I wanted to share with you all.

The images below are taken with the Pentax 67 and the 400mm F/4 SMC Takumar lens. I used apertures of f/4.8 or f/5.6 for 40-50 minute exposures on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 black and white negative film.

You can read about my project plan and inspiration here:

http://nightflyphotography.blogspot.com/2014/07/recapturing-ee-barnards-legac...

You can view the images and read about them here:

http://nightflyphotography.blogspot.com/2014/07/selected-regions-of-milky-way...

Here is a legend to the several images taken in June.

14750796594_c7d5b2bfa2_b.jpgPictures at Eleven by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

Below are some of the results.  These are preliminary images that were scanned rather hastily, but these results look promising.  I need to go back and remaster each image, something that will take me awhile.  A good task for winter when I am shut indoors. 

14748689822_19c6a367e3_b.jpgMessier 24 Region by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

14768747843_1d0a131f16_b.jpgRegion of Dark Lanes in Ophiuchus by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

14561472088_a02873bb2e_b.jpgThe Southern Scutum Star Cloud by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

14764057453_ebbbaba128_b.jpgThe Dark Nebulae Around Theta Ophiuchi by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

Apologies for the smaller sized image here:

14533366200_8c47341347_b.jpgThe Great Star Cloud in Scutum by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

14688946026_c7ac64bdcb_b.jpgMessier 22 Region in Sagittarius by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

14703823142_c442193a71_b.jpgThe Great Sagittarius Star Cloud by Nightfly Photographic, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.  I hope you enjoyed them.

Jim

• Like 7

Hey Jim, great to hear your doing well and are back posting again! Fantastic images :)

All the best

• Like 1

Nice to see you back in style with proper film.

keep up the good work with both film and dslr.

• Like 1

Delicious.

I particularly love the region between the Swan and the Trifid with M24 in the middle. This is an under-photographed bit of sky.

Olly

• Like 1

Thank you all.  It was fairly difficult work and I was pleasantly surprised that all frames came out as expected.  Guiding for each frame was corrected manually and there was some issues with nighttime insects, so I am glad I did not bump the system during exposures.  Aircraft was a concern and several exposures had to be capped during their presence around the field.  Fireflies (or lightning bugs) seemed to like where I was pointed!  I thought I missed a few of them, but the films did not record any occurrences.   

Overall it was great fun and I am hoping for good weather for another round.  Color this time.  We'll see.  The current dark run is about over.  Late August should be promising.

It's good to have the strength and energy to get back at it.  It has been good therapy.  Looks like years of imaging to come.  

Thanks again.

Jim

What a wonderful collection. glad you are up and running again, you've had a bad time. looking forward to more on film!!

Fay

It's nice to see so many fine images. You have a great collection there.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      I currently am on holiday in my father's hometown, a small island near rhodes called symi.Symj, is a pretty small town,with only about 2000 residents.That means that the light pollution levels must be low. Acknowledging that, i called my friends, grabbed my 10x50 bins(that i got for 20€ from Turkey),and went on my way to find a dark site.About after 20 mins of walking (from the city),i stumbled upon a beach, it was dark, so i went in.There i decided to lay on a sunbed that was there.After looking up(not being dark adapted, my friends just kept turning their flashlights on for some reason), i saw the haze of the milky way stretching from Cassiopeia to cygnus and beyond!I was amazed as i ve never seen the milky way before and smudged it off as clouds until i confirmed it was the milky way from an app! The weird part was that at just straight overhead, was the port ,which had many lights, and as a result the sky appeared half bright and half dark. I turned over at Sagittarius and headed over the lagoon nebula. Brilliant! 3-4 stars in a line surrounded by bright nebulosity.(while still being in the haze!) Afterwards i headed to cygnus,it was a real light show! I saw the milky way layering on top of Cygnus while catching a glimpse of m23 and yet again, failing to see NGC7000 . Then, with the corner of my eye, i detected something moving, then turned over to Cassiopeia to see a shooting stsr!(it was my first time seeing one!!!) Was very brief, yet enjoyable. Right afterwards i turned over at the Perseus double cluster.Magnificent! Appeared as 2 small balls of light , almost connected yo eachother. Finally, i realised that finally, the target i was seeking to observe all year long, M31 was into the area with the light pollution! What a shame! While also being low on the Horizon, I couldnt see it with the naked eye. I observed it with ny binoculars for 10 minutes or so . The core was resolved nicely with some hints of outer nebulosity. Overall a great night and now, i wished i had my 8" dob with me....
      (Sorry for any granmar mistakes, im currently typing this at 2 am xD)
    • By Matty_C
      Hello all,
      I have just joined and have been looking around, and putting in various searches to find the answer to my question(s).
      I have already found some valuable information, but i can't find a specific answer to a question i have relating to exposure times.
      I have shot the milky way several times before, from a tripod and a wide angle lens. I am aware of and understand the "500 rule" and that worked fine for me at first when i was shooting with my Canon 6D Mark II. When i moved over to the Sony A7III i noticed significant trailing using the same rule and that led me to the NPF rule (Via the photopills app incase people dot know).
      I am heading back to Tenerife once again in about 6 weeks time and want to buy a star tracker so i can get some really detailed images.
      I have done a fair bit of research and in principle, the whole thing doesn't seem to be too daunting or difficult.
      I have purchased the Polar Scope Align Pro app so i can align Polaris as accurately as possible, i will practise putting the unit together and familiarising myself with the different parts etc, but it is the exposure times that i do not understand.
      My best glass is the Carl Ziess 50mm F/1.4 Planar, the 18mm F/2.8 Batis, the Sigma 35mm F/1.4 Art & the IRIX 15mm F/2.4 Blackstone.
      I currently do not own, nor have i ever used a tracker, and I cannot find any information relating to which aperture, ISO and Shutter length any of these focal lengths should or could be shot at.
      Is there anything similar to the 500 rule or NPF rule that relates to using a tracker with varied focal lengths? or is it just a case of stepping the lens down for sharpness and then trial and error?
      Thanks in advance,

Matt.

• By harshit8
      Second attempt at astrophotography with my canon 1300D untracked (first was orion ). Shot under dark skies of himachal pradesh (India). 
      Stacking done in DSS and processing in Gimp.
      Any suggestions would be appreciated. especially regarding the trees at the bottom.
      Total exposure time - 20*20 seconds
      Shot with - Canon EOS 1300D (untracked) (unmodded)
      Flats and Biased frames included

• By Astrofriend
      Long time ago I bought a Pentax medium format lens. It's a Pentax SMC 67 165 mm f/2.8. The reason I bought this was to have as low vignetting as possible. Later I bought the Sigma APO 150 mm f/2,8. Very good but a bit high vignetting.
      After this the Pentax have collected a lot of dust. But why not give it one more chance?
      Here you can see some graphs over the vignetting where I compare the Sigma with the Pentax:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-sigma-pentax-vignetting/project-sigma-vs-pentax.html
      Later I shall also do some test how sharp it is, now with a live view camera it's much easier to get it in perfect focus, I think I failed with this earlier.
      Any other out there using medium format lenses (for astro)?
      /Lars
    • By James
      This August I was lucky enough to go back to La Palma with the family for a couple of weeks. Perhaps more importantly I was able to take my cameras, and this time I hired a telescope over there rather than look at the skies wishing I had my scope with me.
      Same as last time we were unlucky with the weather, by La Palma standards, and several nights were lost to very thick Calima - dust laden winds blowing from the Sahara . These clog up the sky and raise the temperature quite drastically. It also severely hampered my ‘schedule’ of timelapses I wanted to get but living in the UK I can expect perhaps one night in two weeks to be clear. I can’t complain at the loss of 4-5 nights out of two weeks! Although it was frustrating to miss the Perseids again - they were on the one night it actually rained!!
      La Palma, perhaps surprisingly for one of the best locations for astronomy in the world, is a very cloudy island. When conditions are ‘normal’ it is usual for the inhabited parts of the island at less than 3000 ft to be frequently cloudy at night time. The cloud comes and goes but is often there and can be seen in several of my timelapses. There is an inversion later at approximately 3000ft though above which it is as clear as it’s cloudy below. So, if you can get high enough you can get above the clouds and almost guarantee starry skies. But, the same situations that give those clouds give us cloud waterfalls over the Cumbre Vieja (the ridge of hills linking the north and south of the island) and some amazing fog. I could go back to La Palma just to do timelapses of the fog/cloud!
      If you can get high enough it’s truly worth it. Up at altitude the skies are very steady and clear. I could see detail and texture in the Milky Way right through from beneath Scorpius/Sagittarius, right overhead and down into Cassiopeia and Perseus. The Milky Way was visible right down to the horizon and the stars were pinpoint spots of light - no twinkling, not even low on the horizon! There are various spots at the side of the road you can set up on - although be prepared for a number of cars to drive past with their lights full on! I was quite surprised at the number of cars - several of my timelapses show the observatories lit up by cars with their lights on full. Of course, arguably I was part of the problem… but then I was happy to drive around on sidelights (once I’d sorted out turning off the cars internal illumination!)
      I met and spoke with a surprising number of people, mostly Spanish and German. But it was frustrating whilst taking a timelapse to have people drive up and take pictures of themselves pointing a torch at the Milky Way, right in my field of view. Some of my timelapses show this despite my best efforts.
      I was able to take Tom up with me a couple of times (even Kate came up too one night!). I quite like being on my own at night but at altitude and with the humidity at less than 5% and the walking around often being on rocky broken volcanic surfaces it was good to have company. Of course, Tom being 10 he can see way better than me, something he was happy to point out regularly!
      I've put together a timelapse which I’ve called the Road to the Roque.  Whether you approach the Roque from the east from Santa Cruz de la Palma or from the north west (Hoya Grande) it’s at the top of a long very switchbacked road. Driving up and down 7-8 times over the two weeks burned out the hire cars brakes  - thank goodness for power steering! You can’t get to the top without going up the road - the views along the way were stunning so any timelapse I put together I wanted to include that part of the journey! The car brakes really were burned out. On the last day driving back to the airport they were noisy enough I felt it best to leave the car in second gear for the last 13km (downhill)..
      I hired a telescope for about a week out there from an outfit that turned out to be just 10 minutes up the road ( http://athos.org  ) A German setup (the guy I spoke to, Jan, spoke perfect English!) which has to be the kind of place I’d happily just move to (just as soon as that lottery win comes in). They have a place with several small houses for accommodation, observing platforms, observatories, plenty of kit and are in a truly dark spot. Absolute Paradise! They kindly gave me a guided tour (they took care I didn’t wake up some of the astronomers that had been up all night) but the place was great. I have started siphoning off money from my joint account… (luckily Kate doesn’t go on SGL!). 
      I hired an Evolution 6 with Starsense. My rationale was to have something I could carry around easily and for it to be smaller than my main scope at home and something I haven’t used before. It worked out perfectly, the little 6 inch was giving me much better views than my 10” Newt does a home and many an hour was spent looking at Mars, Saturn, Jupiter and Venus and looking at objects in the lower reaches of the Milky Way that we can’t normally see from the UK! The starsense was cool - level, aim north, hit a button… and it just worked!
      I could blether on for hours but won’t - here’s a link to the time-lapse I’ve done. Its missing some stuff I wanted to get but some stuff worked better than I’d expected so I can’t complain. A couple of the timelapses were done in strong dusty winds, in one of them I spent an hour hunched over the camera on it’s tripod holding a large black cloth as a shield for me and the camera from virtually gale force winds. Amazingly that one worked well although my shoulders weren’t so happy! Getting lost on the path on the way back down to the car was a bit hairy (the caldera was 20 ft to my right) but a bit of judicious Maps usage on my phone (most of the island provides at least 3G) enabled me to figure out that the all but invisible path I needed was just a few feet back from where I was…
      Finally, all else aside, I can’t overstate what having dark skies does. I live in a dark part of Devon and am grateful for that but the skies there were obscenely dark. The little villa we were staying in near Puntagorda on the north west of the island - you could walk literally straight out of the lit kitchen onto a patio and bang, there was the Milky Way, better than we even see it here, visible clearly in completely un dark adapted eyes… five minutes later and it’s enough to make you think… I could work from here you know, no need to go back to the UK….
      I’ve started blethering again. Here’s the timelapse, I hope you enjoy it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.