SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron CPC 800 First Light

Even though I've had my scope since end of June, I've not had a chance to get out due to 'life' so last night I finally managed to get out. I was a bit dubious at 1st as although it was clear and warm it was breezy but out I went. Set up and gave it 45 mins for the scope to cool down. The whole lot was solid even in the wind it didn't move.

Turned the power on and selected Auto Two Star Align and the GPS connected very quickly. Looked around and selected Altair, got in the finderscope and then centered in my 40mm ep then again with my 12mm illuminated crossaim ep. For my 2nd star it offered me Acturus so I selected that as it was some distance from Altair which I read is the best thing to do.

Once that was done I chose M57 The Ring Nebula as I was going to try and image it but didn't bother in the end. I used the 40mm ep and I could actually make out a small grey ring dead centre. Then I moved onto Albireo and wow, for the 1st time I managed to see the 2 different coloured stars. A fantastic sight!

Then I took the tour trying different objects. Some were blocked by houses or I couldn't make them out. I went to look at M51 and although I was already near it, the scope took me the long route. Any way to change that? I was so impressed seeing the stars stay in the ep instead of drifting off and having to find them again like in my old Astromaster.

By this time it was nearly 11pm so with the goto wirring and people's Windows open cus of the heat I'd thought I'd call it a night. Final conclusion is that it really is a superb scope and I made the right choice. Roll on winter! :)

Radders

I had a CPC800 and loved it - you have made a good choice. I really recommend a dew shield as they do suffer from misting up. As regards the way the scope moves you could try altering the cord wrap - I turned it off.

Peter

They certainly are a beautiful scope, I have had Two now, the first one I sold a few years ago, went all technical with a German mount and Newt, then basically missed my CPC so I sold up what I had and went back to the CPC. The ease of set up and the ease of the scope just does it for me. I use the Starsense on mine, ok it is a bit of a pricy gimmick, but I love watching it move around the sky doing it all for me as I do other things. I also changed the focuser to a 1/10, I was never a fan of the original focuser as it seemed too chunky to me for good precise focusing. With the right eyepieces this scope is a keeper, easy to transport and solid as a rock.

Pete, I've got an Astrozap heated dew shield which I put on last night but didn't connect it up. Will try the cordwrap off if it happens again. Agree Proflight they really are solid. My Astromaster used shake if you got anywhere near it! I looked at getting a feathertouch microfocuser and will probably do so in the future. Is the Starsense really good enough to make a difference?

Steve that's a lovely looking scope. How come it's better than the c11?

Radders

You really don't need Starsense with a CPC800 as the alignment process is so easy. Personally, I would not bother with it. I have it on my C9.25 but I'm not convinced it saves any time and it's always needing updating which can be a bit of an issue. Definitely get the microfocuser - it's brilliant. If cord wrap becomes an issue use a Powertank - it's easy to move around with the scope.

Peter

Hi Radders.

I'm literally in the same position as you. I replaced my first starter scope back at the end of June for a CPC800 XLT but then went off on holiday for 2.5 weeks and had to travel for work for another 2 weeks after that.

I've only grabbed about 30 mins looking at the moon in a bright sky at the end of June and am anxiously waiting for the skies to darken and hopefully clear so I can properly try out this new 8"!

Good luck with the new scope, from the little time I've had so far I think the dark sky views should be great.

Paul.

Hi Ya Radders, nice 1 mate - a really good first light even if its a little late, the tour function is really good to use, once used a couple of times, you tend to remember which objects are in/out of view either behind houses or trees - another function I like to use is to select a constellation which is nice and high in the sky, away from the houses and nice and dark near the zenith, just punch in where you want to go, then do a tour of the constellation, picking off the objects - with it being nice and high up, your looking through the least amount of atmosphere and don't have to worry about objects being in the way.  I struggle with light pollution,  checking the info on each object, you get a feel for the magnitudes your looking at, if its faint and large, you may struggle, but the Planetary nebulae tend to stand out well, especially if you throw a little magnification at them, some are star like at low powers, ramp up the mag, then you tend to see the elongated nature in comparison to a stars single point of light.

Great first light, check out the brighter Messier's first, then you can move onto the NGC's - you'll be surprised how many objects come into the grasps of these lovely CPC's (who look I'm a poet and dow know it !!!!).

All the best.

Paul.

Archived