Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher...advice please

Peter,

The mount is big enough for the scope, so no worries there. Any faults aside it would make a very good planetary and lunar scope and would be OK with the brighter DSO's.

If its not a rude question, how much is it up for? Are there any extras with it?

Gaz

Hi Gaz, Due to poor weather havnt even used my new Skylux yet!! Time on my hands and I cant seem to stop looking at astro. adverts. Think I am addicted!!!!

OK saw this on ebay( now everyone knows!!), what do you feel is a fair price?

Probably cant afford it anway with Xmas etc., the wife would file for divorce!!

Still no harm in just looking.

Pete

OK saw this on ebay( now everyone knows!!), what do you feel is a fair price?

Pete

Firsty Pete I wouldn't worry about telling other people on the forum about the scope, theres not much that gets put on Ebay or one of the Astro selling sites that gets past the lads on this site!!! :lol: :lol:

I'd say for that scope, I'd say anything under £150 is a good deal, anything over £200 is a bad one, anything in the middle is OK...

BTW have you seen the scope that Jamie is selling for his mate? That scope would be much better for DSO's as well as planets..

Gaz, thanks for reply. I am really just thinking ahead. Naturaly opinions are divided when it comes to scope preferences. Reading the various astro. sites often reminds me of letters and reviews in hi-fi mags.!! I think its really difficult to make an informed choice. What someone finds ok someone else is critical of it. Human nature I suppose.

If I was in a position to buy now I would consider one of those Chinese refractors 5in Phenix.

Seems a lot of aperature for the money even if not " perfect"

Is there such a thing as a really "bad" scope being made today?

Pete

Pete wrote: Is there such a thing as a really "bad" scope being made today?

I'm affraid that there is. But it's not a simple matter of make and model. Some of these Chinese telescopes are great value for money. I've got a Skywatcher ED80 refractoe and a friend of mine has got Revelation 12" Dob. These are both excellent value for the price, but I think the price is obtained at the expence of quality control. The knock so many out that they can afford to replace any that are not up to scratch, and this is how they do business. We both hit lucky first time, but surf the web and you will hear of people getting to theit third or fourth and still having to make minor adjustments themselves. These instruments are not inherently bad, they just suffer from poor quality control. If you go for a budget scope, I doubt you will be dissappointed, but make sure you but from a reputable dealer who knows the score and will replace as often as required.

Archived