SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Bi-Colour NGC6888 WIP

Zakalwe

14715363045_73602ae21a_b.jpg

NGC 6888 WIP

This is my first real bi-colour narrowband image, so it's very much a Work-In-Progress!

3 hours of OIII
5.6 hours Ha

20 minute subs

Processed using the Steve Cannistra method
http://www.starrywonders.com/bicolortechniquenew.html

Next steps:
Sharpen the OIII envelope
Reduce colour noise
Grab some RGB data for the star colour (45 mins each of Red, Green, Blue should do it?)

All critique and criticism welcome

Thanks for looking.

That's looking excellent, the fine detail is really coming through. It is quite noisy though as you say - is that because it needed a lot of stretching or something else?

Also, It's only a silly thing, but there is a dark line bottom left, not sure what has caused it, but it would be worth eliminating!

Will you capture the RGB at 1x1 or 2x2 bin?

Good luck with the continued work on this and I look forward to the next version.

Thanks Gav.

Yes...the OIII signal was a lot weaker than the H-a so it needed a far stretch.

I will probably reprocess it a bit more sensitively to get a better control on the noise.

The RGB will only be for the star colours as the are completely blown out here, so it shouldn't need a lot ot exposure time.

Thanks for all the kind words guys and girls. :icon_salut: I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

14554126560_f57e6bda69_b.jpg

Selective Colour and blur background

Yet another revision....this time with another background blur and some selective colour in PS to bring out the shell more.

One thing that I haven't done is to calibrate the frames with darks or flats (offsets used). I don't have any 20 minute darks in my calibration library, so I need to do these. Getting fed up of tweaking though...I might have to go back to the start and re-do all the processing. I tend to get lost after a bit and can't see if I'm improving or degrading the image.

Thanks for looking.

Great image Steve - I think you have handled the stars very well which I always find a challenge! - I assume this is with C11 ON eq8?-very impressive- Tony

Thanks Tony, thats appreciated.

This was taken with the Altair Astro 115mm, Photoline .79x reducer, Baader filters and Atik 428 camera.

Very Impressive image Steve :cool: , was it done on the EQ8?

I may need a new mount and on another post the EQ8 has been recommended so I have been trying to see how others are getting on..... If it was on the EQ8 how have you found it and how easy is it to get amazing results like in your image?

Very Impressive image Steve :cool: , was it done on the EQ8?

I may need a new mount and on another post the EQ8 has been recommended so I have been trying to see how others are getting on..... If it was on the EQ8 how have you found it and how easy is it to get amazing results like in your image?

Thank you very much Andy.

To be honest, I've been chuffed to bits with the EQ8 since I got it. It's a massive step up from the EQ6 and it guides really well. It carries anything that I want it to and just gets on with the business of working.

10368389_10152514780428281_4412912517617

I've recently started to use Sequence Generator Pro too and that works really well.  it's a blooming impressive piece of software and takes a lot of hassle away from the imager.

I like that very much - the crescent is certainly better and you seem to have tamed the noise well.

My only thought would be that some of the stars have tended towards pink rather than the more natural orange of earlier versions? (Ed: is that really natural anyway?!)

Much better.  I've never got Steve Canistra's synthetic green channel to work well for me.  Generally I think using OIII for both blue and green works very well given that OIII's natural colour isn't a long way from cyan.  You've toned down the Ha which works much better and, if I'm guessing right, you've zapped the stars in the colour layer, used some big time smoothing of the colour data and used are now left with the stars from the luminence.  Nice job!

• 5 weeks later...

I've chucked in some short RGB subs to get a bit of colour into the stars (and to replace the horrible reddish stars that resulted from the Ha). I think that this improves the image a bit. What do you think?

15087890395_71ede569f1_b.jpg

NGC6888-Bicolour with RGB Star Colour

Brilliant image and processing. Have you considered doing an RGB capture mainly for star colour and then replacing the stars? I have done this a couple of times in PI and it can work reasonably well.

Regards,

A.G

Brilliant image and processing. Have you considered doing an RGB capture mainly for star colour and then replacing the stars? I have done this a couple of times in PI and it can work reasonably well.

Regards,

A.G

Thank you.

Yes, the latest version had some short RGB sub (just 10 x 40 seconds per R,G and B) purely for the star colour. Ive layered this over the bi-colour image and set the blending mode to "Colour". I should really remove the stars completely from the narrowband and replace them with the RGB stars.

Thank you.

Yes, the latest version had some short RGB sub (just 10 x 40 seconds per R,G and B) purely for the star colour. Ive layered this over the bi-colour image and set the blending mode to "Colour". I should really remove the stars completely from the narrowband and replace them with the RGB stars.

If you have PI then it is relatively easy to do using pixelmath. I am really not that good with PS so I am all ears as far as PS goes.

Regards,

A.G

If you have PI then it is relatively easy to do using pixelmath. I am really not that good with PS so I am all ears as far as PS goes.

Regards,

A.G

Thanks A G

I've never really used PI, though a few attempts with the demo product was enough to convince me that anything to do with it looked far from easy! :grin:

Archived