Wohoo, North American Nebula at last!

Luke

Gosh, where did those six plus years of DSO observing all go? I have only just last night seen, for the very first time, the North American Nebula. At last! :laugh:

My weapon of choice to finally track it down was a Tele Vue 60mm scope, with a 32mm Plossl and UHC filter. The nebula was nice and bright and filled up a lot of the wide view. I guess it's just too big to see in my 10 inch dob? I tried an OIII filter too, I didn't think there was much in it, but I preferred the UHC overall as the stars to my eyes look a little nicer through that filter. Though it does show, OIII can work in small scopes too.

The UHC and OIII were also similar on the Veil. What a thrill that view was too, taking the whole of the Veil in with the 32mm Plossl.

I did have the benefit of a nice dark sky. The Milky Way was superb too, splitting the sky in half.

Well spotted Luke it sounds like you have been waiting quite a while to capture it.

I haven't had a clear evening sky here for so long now that I cant remember the last time I was out :shocked:

Nice one Luke.

It's one of these objects that once see you'll not know how you missed it.

Your 60mm pronto is kinda the opposite of how I first saw it (16" Dob from a moderately LP site) :)

TBH I find an O-III filter works better than an UHC on this object regardless of aperture.

Well done Luke  :smiley:

It took me years to spot this one too. I was looking right through it many times I'm sure  :rolleyes2:

I think it was 15x70 binoculars and a really dark night that cracked it for me. I've since spotted bits of it with my scopes. 

Well done Luke,

I saw it myself last night (This Morning) with my 10x50s and imagined I could make it out with the NE averting my vision once

seen in the binos but I may have been kidding myself. This was my highlight of the wee hours.

It had been cloudy when I went to bed but I awoke at half past one, and looked out to see a beautifully clear sky.

I rushed down, grabbed my kit and set up in the garden by which time the sky was busy filling with thin cloud...........

Had a good view of the Milky way, Cygnus rift and Northern coalsack as well as the American/Pelican Nebs before totally

failing to see any trace of Comet Catalina as the sky misted over and the moon came over the rooftops to finish the job.

Packed away and back in bed by 02:23, Happy enough with my quick sojourn in Cygnus.

Mick

Nice one Luke. I will add myself to the list of those who took years to see it!! I finally cracked it on holiday in Dorset a few years ago. I used my 4" scope with UHC and OIII filters, I think I preferred the OIII in the end but only when I was fully dark adapted.

The answer to seeing it is a nice wide field of view, plus a dark and transparent sky....simples :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, all :)

Shaun, clear nights have seemed rare our way too, I have hardly done any lunar for months, I am getting the shakes :-o Good job the Sun has saved things :)

Steve, wow, there is hope for my dob and okay home skies, then :) What eyepiece did you use? I am really impressed by the little 60mm scope. Do you ever find yourself looking through your finder more than your dob? (hehe I am just kidding, my dob would have been a lot of fun under that dark sky...)

I must try to get to properly dark skies more often, the MKI eyeball on the Milky Way alone was worth it!  :laugh:

Interesting that some folks prefer the OIII. I will give them another spin. With my dobs, I generally prefer OIII.

Cheers,

Luke

Archived