SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from the dullest part of the Universe lol

supadik

Hi everybody.

I, well myself, wife and son have just got our 1st telescope for our sons 13th birthday. It's nothing a special it's a 2nd hand Jessops 102 1100 reflector with a 6.5mm - 20mm eye piece (no barlow ) but my son likes it so that's the main thing. I also have just received a 2nd hand 114 x 600 reflector on an EQ-1 mount but there are a few parts missing...eye piece and barlow lens, spotter scope and mount counter weight. I've ordered a spotter scope but I don't know which eye pieces or barlow lens to buy, also where might I find a counter weight for the mount?

As for the Jessops scope can anybody suggest what we should be looking at as beginners, I feel we would probably be best limiting ourselves to viewing the moon until we get to know the scope better???? We are based at Market Weighton about half way between York and Hull if that makes any difference lol.

Many thanks in advance for any advice given.

Rich (and wife and son)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you tell if the focuser takes 1.25" or 0,965" eyepieces? Basically measure the diameter of the hole - the 0.965" will be so close to 1" that what you will see is either 1.25" or 1".

Hopefully 1.25", these are more prevelant and there is a better selection of better eyepiece designs.

Ignore a barlow for now, just get it operating with scope and eyepieces - keep it simple.

Counter balance weights:- Some retailers sell them, occasionally people have them made (machine shop and a disk of steel with 2 holes in it). The problem is that you are buying a solid disk of steel and although "cheasp" they are heavy and postage costs.

Half suspect your nearest dealer is Rother Valley or Green Witch (Leeds), check their web sites and see if you can locate any weights.

Two do have them are:

Astroboot

Presently have a set of 3 in for £10 and £12 depending which advert you read (?), BUT they seem to have no threaded bits to grib the mount bar.

The other is

TS Optics

Theirs look correct, but you need to know the diameter of the central rod, probably 12mm ?. Cost more and I have no idea of cost to ship. Scroll down to Diverse something and Skywatcher. Looks like you will need to know the diameter of the rod as there appears to be a few options.

Until the nights get darker there is little to really suggest.

Try Albereio in Cygnus, the double double in Lyra and for the hell of it M57 in Lyra.

Saturn is there somewhere and Mars - Mars will just be a little round disk, you are not going to see the rovers ambling round.

Welcome to the forum :-)

I do not know the telescopes but the mount seems to be a tad weak (making high magnifications difficult to use).

If the telescope takes 1.25 inch eyepieces, the inexpensive Seben Plössl and Barlow can be a first upgrade, they ship directly or can be found on ebay and amazon. They also have simple finders though small finderscopes are usually a pain to use.

"Turn left at orion" is a great book that shows you where and when you can find galaxies, star clusters and what to expect to see. Highly recommended before buying more accessories.

You will need a high power and one low power eyepiece, and one or two inbetween. Stay clear from sets and if in doubt what you need just ask in this great forum :-)

Hi Rich and family!!! Welcome to SGL and glad that you found us. If you download Stellarium (a free planetarium programme) that will help you to navigate the sky and see what you can see.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Can you tell if the focuser takes 1.25" or 0,965" eyepieces? Basically measure the diameter of the hole - the 0.965" will be so close to 1" that what you will see is either 1.25" or 1".

Hopefully 1.25", these are more prevelant and there is a better selection of better eyepiece designs.

Ignore a barlow for now, just get it operating with scope and eyepieces - keep it simple.

Counter balance weights:- Some retailers sell them, occasionally people have them made (machine shop and a disk of steel with 2 holes in it). The problem is that you are buying a solid disk of steel and although "cheasp" they are heavy and postage costs.

Half suspect your nearest dealer is Rother Valley or Green Witch (Leeds), check their web sites and see if you can locate any weights.

Two do have them are:

Astroboot

Presently have a set of 3 in for £10 and £12 depending which advert you read (?), BUT they seem to have no threaded bits to grib the mount bar.

The other is

TS Optics

Theirs look correct, but you need to know the diameter of the central rod, probably 12mm ?. Cost more and I have no idea of cost to ship. Scroll down to Diverse something and Skywatcher. Looks like you will need to know the diameter of the rod as there appears to be a few options.

Until the nights get darker there is little to really suggest.

Try Albereio in Cygnus, the double double in Lyra and for the hell of it M57 in Lyra.

Saturn is there somewhere and Mars - Mars will just be a little round disk, you are not going to see the rovers ambling round.

Thanks for the info I now have all the bit's and bobs that I need for the time being :)

Welcome to the forum :-)

I do not know the telescopes but the mount seems to be a tad weak (making high magnifications difficult to use).

If the telescope takes 1.25 inch eyepieces, the inexpensive Seben Plössl and Barlow can be a first upgrade, they ship directly or can be found on ebay and amazon. They also have simple finders though small finderscopes are usually a pain to use.

"Turn left at orion" is a great book that shows you where and when you can find galaxies, star clusters and what to expect to see. Highly recommended before buying more accessories.

You will need a high power and one low power eyepiece, and one or two inbetween. Stay clear from sets and if in doubt what you need just ask in this great forum :-)

Hi thanks for the info regarding eyepieces and the book you mention has now been ordered and will be with me some time next week :)

Hi everybody.

I'd like to give a big THANK YOU to all the help and welcomes we received. I now have the basic items ordered and a good book that will be a big help. I'm sure your advice will have already saved me many ££££ and hours of frustration.

It was my son's birthday on the 17th but so far we haven't had a clear night so that's given me a little time to read up on the subject and try and figure out what it's all about lol.

Many thanks

Rich (and family)

Hi, Rich, and a warm welcome to SGL and to amateur astronomy! If you haven't done already I can recommend downloading the free planetarium 'Stellarium' which is customisable to individual locations and  scopes - giving you an idea of not only what is in the sky in your area, but also how to find it, and what it will look like through your eyepiece. You might even decide that you don't live in the "dullest part of the universe" after all!!!  Downloadable here: http://www.stellarium.org/?ref=nf

Hope that helps,

Martin

Archived